Rb Lever Seal - Leaking Copiously

Alex Dark

Righto, two identical RB designs Magura levers. Both leaked when I got them so I bought some new o-rings. Changed both sets of seals, now one leaks like a dog ( we're talking 5 lever pulls and fluid loss is noticeable from the back of the piston ) and one works perfectly; used it for a whole day of riding! I can't seem to see any scores or scratches on the barrel either :S.

The only solution I could think of is the following ; rather long winded I know:

• Get the barrel internally bored on a lathe a few thou's of a mm to take out the scratches that MUST be there / polish the barrel somehow.
  • Make a brand new piston out of some Acetyl ( a bearing plastic ) on the CNC lathe at work.
  • Buy and install some V seals ( same style as used on a Hope brake ) maybe two on each brake for security.

Of course, the piston would be designed around the v seals if i can even get hold of them.

Is that a good way to go? Or is there any special polishing etc I can do to try and make the bloody thing hold water?

Feedback and input especially appreciated from Adam@tarty , Forteh and Matt Vandart!

If anyone has any ideas please share :turned: I'm really desperate to get the pair working again! :)

use oil.. brakes are designed for oil not for water... water is a lot thinner and doesn't flow like oil does it damages the O-ring I suggest you toy buy magura royal blood and re bleed the brake (first be sure that the brake is completely empty and then bleed) some designs of magura brakes can hold water and some others can't maybe your just cant the best is to run oil (Y)

Edited by Pepo09

use oil.. brakes are designed for oil not for water... water is a lot thinner and doesn't flow like oil does it damages the O-ring I suggest you toy buy magura royal blood and re bleed the brake (first be sure that the brake is completely empty and then bleed) some designs of magura brakes can hold water and some others can't maybe your just cant the best is to run oil (Y)

My RB is fine with water. The design works fine with water, just in some cases the brake you own may have defects or damage so the water loss is noticeable compared to a better condition one.

How old is the lever dude?, Is it the same model as the ones I had?

When I first got mine I asked the dude in Dresslershop if he had seals and he said Hai, could get some off him?

I like your idea though because it will sort it out in the longterm.

I wouldn't take much out the cylinder, Like Ed just lap it/hone in.

I would also take the opportunity of todays sunshine to have a look in the cylinder for said scratches.

Failing all this, as my esteemed, possibly Canidae colleague says, ditch it and get some vees :S