Rear Brake Feel 'spongy'

Jimbob 2705

Hi Guys,

Haven't been on here for a little while. :$

Anyway, I need help with me rear brake.

I am running a Avid BB5 with the standard Avid Lever.

It is awesome! (Y)

BUT....the problem is that I can't set it up that well IMO. :$

It grips on the disc with only a smallish pull, but I can pulling and the brake doesn't seem to grip any better. It's not that the brake doesn't grip enough, it's just that the brake feels 'spongy' and not firm.

I feel that I haven't got it set up will enough to use with 1 finger as I find it difficult.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks and ATB

James

BTW, I bought the brakes 2nd hand if that makes a difference.

Spongy = air in the system.

It could also mean there's unnecessary flex, but usually it's air in the system.

Further reading, a spongy dodgy brake can be caused by a shite setup, usually that's why mine suck :D but if you can't set it up any better, I refer you to the first line of this post.

Edited by Revolver

Spongy = air in the system.

It could also mean there's unnecessary flex, but usually it's air in the system.

Further reading, a spongy dodgy brake can be caused by a shite setup, usually that's why mine suck :D but if you can't set it up any better, I refer you to the first line of this post.

How do I check to see if there is air in the system?

I didn't realise you could get air in the system, as they use cables. Shows how much I know! :$

Thanks

Oh, lame.

How could I possibly read BB5 and see it as juicy 5?

:S

Ok, Round 2 -

A shit cable and a shit lever contribute to spongy cable brakes. Also, a flexy setup, check all the bolts are tight.

I had a front brake that flexed loads, we swapped the cable and it was no better, it was the dud lever.

But you are using a decent lever, so it is likely to be the cable. Which is what everyone else said... Doh.

Edited by Revolver

Watch the rotor as you pull the lever. If the rotor gets pushed to one side of the caliper, then you've found the problem!

You want the disc to practically rub against the inner pad, so that the other pad moves in when you pull the lever, and clamp it. It sounds like the outer pad is pushing the rotor over into the inner one, so the spongey feeling is the rotor bending over slightly. ;)

Easy to fix. Loosen the caliper bolts, pull the lever, tighten the bolts, release. Should do the trick!

Watch the rotor as you pull the lever. If the rotor gets pushed to one side of the caliper, then you've found the problem!

You want the disc to practically rub against the inner pad, so that the other pad moves in when you pull the lever, and clamp it. It sounds like the outer pad is pushing the rotor over into the inner one, so the spongey feeling is the rotor bending over slightly. ;)

Easy to fix. Loosen the caliper bolts, pull the lever, tighten the bolts, release. Should do the trick!

I have already tried that, but no luck.

Is it maybe worth trying a new rotor or would that make no difference?

Thanks and ATB