Crack/clicking Noise

T'owld T'hop

I just bought a new Onza Spyrogyra off ebay, I wanted something cheap and easy to try and learn on.

I only paid £160 for it so wasnt expecting too much, but I am actually pretty happy with it.

However it is making a cracking/clicking noise, I suspect from the BB/cranks area, it doesnt seem to happen when I am applying pressure to the pedals, more when pedals are level and I am hopping up/down something, even something small like a curb.

I have swapped the pedals so I know it isnt that, I tightened the cranks and it seemed slightly better, but not for long.

Is there anything else it might be other than BB/cranks?

Anybody had similar problems?

I will remove the cranks next and grease the tapers, after that is it worth buying a BB tool and removing/greasing/replacing it?

Assuming the seller would replace the bike it would cost me £20 to post it, if I could be sure it was the BB it would be just as cheap to replace it!!

I would be gratefull of any help please! :D

Sounds like the BB to me too but bear in mind I had an unusual cracking sound on my old zoo and that was cause the headset lower bearings had completely fallen to pieces inside so if tightening the cranks, BB and bars/stem doesn't fix it then that's the next place to try!

Right, thanks guys!

I know I asked is there anything else it could be, perhaps it would have been quicker to ask is there anything it cant be!! :lol:

Do you think its worth removing my grips to rule that out too? :rolleyes:

No but really, cheers for the replies, at least I have more to go on now.

And thinking about it, the first time I heard it I was doing a stoppie up something so my weight would have been through the bars/stem/headset, so I think I will look there first.

Thanks again (Y)

• Like 1

ive got the same bike with the same problem will let you know if find and cure the problem....

Really?!

Thats a bit annoying, I wasnt expecting great things for a bike at that price range, but I didnt expect to be having problems straight away, that was why I bought new instead of second hand!

I wonder if it is worth contacting Onza and see if they might know what the problem could be, save us having to start replacing things unnecessarily.

Not a great advert for Onza is it?!