Footjam Whip

Stevo Mann

Decide which way you want to swing your bike round to.

Remove that foot, put it over the top tube and ram it into the gap between your front tyre and forks.

Kick the bike round with the other foot.

Try to get your feet back on the pedals when it comes back round.

Footjam whips are as much about good balance on the front wheel as they are whipping the bike.

what way round do you normally swing the bike when doing a 180 on the front wheel? i turn mine to the left so heres how i do it.

i start as if im just doing a normal 180,

then halfway through i remove my right foot from the pedal,

at this stage i find it really important to think purely about what my left foot is doing,

then land your right foot on the tyre,

straight away after landing your foot (if not at the same time) pull your left foot off the pedal and lift over the frame and dangle it behind your right foot ready for the catch

slightly move the bars to help the spin.

when the bike is at about 4 o'clock, jump off the tyre and catch the pedal with your left foot and then put the right foot on the pedal before landing. when you get better at landing you will be able to land both feet at the same time.

a little tip when doing it this way, keep your back brake on all the time too, this will keep your pedals in position.

THE OTHER WAY

if you want to spin to the right but normally 180 to the left...

bring your right foot over the frame whilst going at a comfortable speed,

endo, and at the same time kick the frame right with your left foot and land on the tyre with your right foot,

the frame can come round pretty fast depending how hard you kick,

when the frame is at about 8 o clock, jump and land on the pedals,

this way is kinda considered as cheating as you pull your foot over the frame to start, but its a good way o learn balance on the wheel. also the pedals can either move, or if you stick the rear brake on.. they are locked in an awkward position.

hope this helps, took me ages to type haha

carl

technically you are doing it wrong.

The "correct" way is to ride along pop a little hop onto the front wheel and at the same time remove your front foot and before you have put it on the tyre kick the frame around with the back foot, this will get the frame out of the way and make the front tyre easier to stand on. Watch the pedals coming around and as the bike is coming back jump off the tyre and aim your feet on the pedals.

here's a vid