New And Just Picked Up An Onza Blade

Carl-H

Hi, my first post here always wanted to get into trials but never been able to afford it. Now I can and I've just picked up a 2009 Onza Blade.

Only had it home for a hour or so and the rain has brought me inside :(lol.

Few questions,

The cranks seem to be a bit groany and clicking, anything to check or tighten?

Also, the rear brake lever clamp has snapped so if I put too much pressure on it it spins round lol. What do I need to order it's a magura HS33. Also I'd like a lever a little further away than it currently is, so how do I adjust that? I come from a motorbike background and these are a little different lol

Thanks, Carl

The cranks seem to be a bit groany and clicking, anything to check or tighten?

Also, the rear brake lever clamp has snapped so if I put too much pressure on it it spins round lol. What do I need to order it's a magura HS33. Also I'd like a lever a little further away than it currently is, so how do I adjust that? I come from a motorbike background and these are a little different lol

Thanks, Carl

Take the cranks off and grease the thread and put them back on using a 8mm Allen key. Sound like the thread in the lever body itself has stripped. Not sure on a fix on that, whether it can be Helicoiled or not. Best bet would be try to pick up a second hand body off here. Theres a number of things you can do to make the lever futher away. First would be to set your rear brake up so the pads are closer to the rim. You can adjust the TPA on the lever which pushes the pistons closer to the rim. You can also get new pads which have more material. Only if your current ones are worn down though!

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll do the cranks tomorrow. The bracket is only plastic and has cracked where it wraps around if you know what I mean? I can tighten the bolt all the way but because the plastic has cracked it does nothing. And if you don't mind could you explain what you mean about adjusting at the lever? The pads have quite a gap from the rim at the moment.

Thanks, Carl

Thanks. I'll do the cranks tomorrow. The bracket is only plastic and has cracked where it wraps around if you know what I mean? I can tighten the bolt all the way but because the plastic has cracked it does nothing. And if you don't mind could you explain what you mean about adjusting at the lever? The pads have quite a gap from the rim at the moment.

Thanks, Carl

Ok - If you could upload a picture it would help massively as im struggling to understand where the crack is on the 'bracket'. Are you sure its a HS33? It could be a HS11 or HS12 that have plastic bodys with no TPA?

It is a plastic body and I'm not sure what a TPA is but there's not much to adjust it so I think it may be. What's the difference between the 2? Am I loosing out by not having the 33? :/ if you need me to I should be able to get a picture up tomorrow?

I've had a quick google and it appears the difference between the 11 and 33 is only in the lever/master cylinder, so would buying this get it how I need it and fix my bracket?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/complete_brake_levers/magura_hs33_lever_2005/c71p329.html

Anywhere to get it cheaper? Will have a look on eBay when I'm on the computer unless that's about as cheap as I'll get it.

Carl

Had a look in the light this morning and the lever housing says 'julie' on it? And I've tried moving the rear pads closer to the rim but there's not enough left on em :/

I know this has probably been asked a million times but just incase theres anything new out, what are the best pads for a smooth rim?

Carl

• 2 months later...

get some heat sink yellows and a little tar mint break or grind your rim and the hold is amazing :)

Had a look in the light this morning and the lever housing says 'julie' on it? And I've tried moving the rear pads closer to the rim but there's not enough left on em :/

I know this has probably been asked a million times but just incase theres anything new out, what are the best pads for a smooth rim?

Carl