Echo Tr Or Onza Ronnie

matt.price

7 members have voted

1. 1. onza ronnie or echo tr

• ronnie
    • tr

POLL NOW ADDED , PLEASE VOTE :)

hey guys.

i'm unhappy with my rim at the moment (trialtech sport), and i don't want to spend too much.

so i've narrowed it down to these two. idealy i'm looking for brake performance as thats what my current rim lacks.

first

echo tr

second

onza ronnie (drilled, 32 hole)

any other recommendations are welcome :)

thanks in advance

matt

Edited by matt.price

Very satisfied with my rear Ronnie , the drilled variant . Absurdly strong , tall braking surface that holds my medium grind very well and a good lookin' black lustre , overall feels really stiff and reliable at a reasonable weight .

...i'm unhappy with my rim at the moment (trialtech sport)...

Hmmm , I just built a back wheel for my second bike with one of these and haven't ridden it yet.I selected it primarily for it's low weight and was hoping to try runnin' it without a grind at first ( mainly street ) and escalate to a light / medium grind if necessary .Just read your other thread too :ermm: I'm gonna regret building this aren't I ?

Very satisfied with my rear Ronnie , the drilled variant . Absurdly strong , tall braking surface that holds my medium grind very well and a good lookin' black lustre , overall feels really stiff and reliable at a reasonable weight .

Hmmm , I just built a back wheel for my second bike with one of these and haven't ridden it yet.I selected it primarily for it's low weight and was hoping to try runnin' it without a grind at first ( mainly street ) and escalate to a light / medium grind if necessary .Just read your other thread too :ermm: I'm gonna regret building this aren't I ?

maybe without a grind it will be better, also try heatsink yellows in their backrings , heard a few people have got on alright with them and this rim but i'm not sure ,

and thanks for the review on the ronnie, does it give a good performance (bite,hold,nice sound)

cheers

Brake performance with the Ronnie on the rear is superb for me so far . That's with generic clear V pads

chewing on a medium grind , resulting in reliable hold and pretty good bite , but then I like the initial bite kinda soft to allow manuals . These pads are pretty hard so I would imagine with any kind of proper trials pad you're lookin' at killer brake power .

I built this up to be my ultimate trials rear wheel :

Ivot1.jpg

...but by the sounds of it , I'm gonna have to relegate it to XC duty if I can't get a good brake on it . :( By the way ,I wasn't replacing the Ronnie out of dissatisfaction , just wanted a better hub and lighter rim / spokes .

If you can find one, get a dx32! Fairly hard to come by in 32h though, 36h available from tarty.

Theyre not the widest rim at 38mm (same as the ronnie) but Ive never had any stability issues with a rainking. Also not that light until you drill them, mine is drilled 18mm and is 654g, bigman reckoned on being able to drill them to 22/24mm without any problems so I reckon you could get them as light as a h0le etc.

They hold a grind really well, I have to regrind perhaps 2-3 times a year running heatsink yellows and never had an issue with the brake. The only time mines bent was when 3 spokes sheared and the rim bent sideways by 2", unlaced it and it pulled true and rebuilt perfectly :)

Ran a Ronnie and a DX32 for a fair while, both were excellent in terms of braking performance, held a nice sharp grind for longer than anything else and were pretty damn strong!

The Ronnie had a slightly deeper braking surface and was drilled, but was a little more prone to denting. Probably the only negative. The DX32 is slightly heavier, but drill it with 20mm holes and even single wall it if you fancy and you'll be sorted. You get the odd NOS dx32 on ebay every now and again so have a look.