Big Problem!

Matt1995

Hello. i just bought a monty 20" bike (custom built). I have noticed a few problems with the front hydraulic disc and the rear brake is insainly squeeky and has the rear rim is very rough, had to be done on purpose, somone told me it was for extra braking power but i dont like the noise it makes when i apply the brake. is there any way to fix the rear rim like by sanding it or somthing? my front brake is lacking sharpness and i dont know how to check the pads incase they are worn or somthing. (this is my first trials bike lol) please help me!

My mate has a onza rip and his front v-brake is sharper than my hydraulic disc.

The rear rim sounds like it has a grind on it, people grind rims to make brakes better! Leave this on and get used to the squeeking! As for the front brake it may need bleeding or it may have contaminated pads!

Jay

The rear rim sounds like it has a grind on it, people grind rims to make brakes better! Leave this on and get used to the squeeking! As for the front brake it may need bleeding or it may have contaminated pads!

Jay

ah thankyou :) i heard about grinding but didnt understand what it was. ive never bleeded brakes before. im new to these kind of brakes so i dont know how to do it. what tools do i need?

Where are you in somerset? Might be worth seeing if there s a more experienced rider you can ask to have a look over your bike, ask him your questions etc

Im in yeovil. that would be very helpfull actually :)

Is it brand spanking new? If it is, the disc will need to bed in, if not check it over for contamination and give ti a clean/ replace the pads and put some meths on the disc, it'll be alright. You'll get used to the noise the rear brake makes (Y)

So dip it in meth then light it?

Cut a coke can in half, stick some meths in it, put the pads in so they are covered. Light it (CAREFULLY!) and let it all burn. Then leave it the hell alone for a while (I'm assuming that the 1995 in your name is your birth year, so I don't wanna be responsible if you ignore this and end up with no fingertips...)

Sorted.

Exactly - Just means the brake can't perform well because of anything that shouldn't be on there - oil, grease etc. This usually shows up with lack of bite/hold, and a, er, chicken gobbling sound especially when wet. A high pitched squeal is fine though.