Advice Please! Starting Competition Soon

SamKidney

Hi Guys!

Currently loving natural riding and am looking to get into more competitions to change things a bit and increase my range of riding.

I see lots of light bikes, with light frames and components ect.

Im riding an 06 Python though.......

It doesn't feel too heavy, and I can ride it better that any other bike Ive owned, all much shorter.

The competition oreintated bikes Ive seen usually all seem to have short Wb and high BBs with high front ends.

Mines got a +55 BB (I think), and a 1065 WB and Im running a higher front end than usually found on a TGS rig.

Would I be better on a shoter frame for the natural stuff, or somewhere in between for both worlds?

Will post up the spec if required.

Comments much appreciated,

Feel free to advise changes on spec!

Id say intermediate,

Sidehops are around 7 inches above bar height both ways, up to backs are just above that, up to fronts are the same and my static to backwheels are the same as my sidehops.

Im currently using some decent sized boulders in my back garden. (Lucky Me)

Will try get a video tonight if the weather clears up.

Sounds like you wanna be doing the next one up. I do intermediate and on the street can sidehop one way 38" at most, go straight to rear a little more and can't do anything to front whatsoever. The intermediate route tends to be more aimed at the younger lads getting over stuff by using the bashguard and the odd drop/gap.

I'd advise the black route which follows the red flags but allows you use of the bashguard and pedals. Not sure how it is with Tyketrials but with nationals you can change difficulty if you've completed no more than 3 sections if you find it too easy/hard.

So?

I have no idea on how the competition rules or routes works.

Completely new experience for me.

What route are you doing?

Would Red be suitable for my level?

from what you said red would be ok. as for the bike, if your doing ok at natural now on it, it should be fine.

So?

I have no idea on how the competition rules or routes works.

Completely new experience for me.

What route are you doing?

Would Red be suitable for my level?

The ability to side hop fairly high doesnt really make a great deal of difference at a comp.

Having seen riders of a very high street (tgs) ability completely fall apart in comps and struggle on anything slightly off camber shows its about all round skill, ability to see lines on rough terrain and postion the bike well on awkward objects. Im by no means suggesting you'll be like that btw! Maybe try an intermediate level. You may breeze through and be able to take on red route, but you'll get a confidence boost from being able to step up, rather than feeling deflated and dropping down a diificulty level.

Also think about, can you rush your riding? Sections will be held to a time limit, you'll be tired from possible long sections, arm pump may be a factor? Whats your fitness level like? Lots of things to consider.

Whack up a vid dude?

Edited by nathie wafie

I would definitely advise going in at least a route below the one you think you 'should' be able to do. Comps are hard - you're under a time limit (whether you can clear it in time or not, it's still a psychological extra), you have people studying your technique, you have to get stuff right first time etc etc. Like Mr Wafie said there, it's far better to go into something that's too easy and move up than have to move down and then run the risk of not enjoying the day - it's all about the enjoyment.

Thankfully the location Im in means there is brilliant sites to ride at.

I try get up to shipley glen most weekends, and ride my garden if I feel like riding, so 90% of the time Im riding natural now.

Off camber surfaces dont affect me too badly, after messing around with my Tyre pressure Ive found a good all round pressure.

Ive just managed to master short run ups too, and being able to manouve the bike smoothly without being on the rear wheel the full time.

Another thing thats improved vastly is my consistancy. 9 times out of 10 I can get things first time.

Physically, Im fine. Been riding 3 years now so Ive got the muscle and strenght I need, and my endurance is fine too.

I do occasionally suffer from arm pump, but Ive messed with the brakes and Ive nearly eliminated this. Will only occur now after 20 mins of solid riding.

My core strength is good too, and Ive never had an issue with my legs.