Tar

BradJohnson

I put a topic on here a while ago asking if i should use rim tar, everyone told me to keep away from it.

Today a mate i was riding with give me some tar, its the best thing ever found i would recomended it to anyone i wish i used it before now.

why was everyone telling me not to used it ?

I put a topic on here a while ago asking if i should use rim tar, everyone told me to keep away from it.

Today a mate i was riding with give me some tar, its the best thing ever found i would recomended it to anyone i wish i used it before now.

why was everyone telling me not to used it ?

it ruins pads.

To be honest i only have maggy blacks

And you wondered why your brake was crap before? Tar is okay, is good to use as a last resort. But the pros of rim grinds are better preformance, work in the wet and dont completely ruin your pad. Plus with a grind you dont neeed to apply it every hour, you just whack it on it should last a few weeks to a few months depending on how harsh. Honestly get a grind man.

Plus it looks like crap is on your rim when you use it over time :lol:

there's nothing wrong with using tar, but don't expect your brake to work in the rain, the best thing you could do is a grind with tar on top, and you won't have to grind so often. it's up to you really, it is a must when using smooth rims really.

• Like 1

it ruins pads.

It doesn't.

Tar can be good and bad, make sure it's not contaminated, not wet, and you've put the right amount on. Then it's good, failure to do so, it's bad.

It's all the people who haven't learnt how to use tar who put it down, they're just inexperienced tongue.gif

Edited by Jamie_Trials

there's nothing wrong with using tar, but don't expect your brake to work in the rain, the best thing you could do is a grind with tar on top, and you won't have to grind so often. it's up to you really, it is a must when using smooth rims really.

So you say the best thing to do is cover the roughness with tar? And fill in the grooves that help to channel water away?

Don't listen to this guy, it's been said time and time again that using both a grind and tar at the same time is pointless.

So you say the best thing to do is cover the roughness with tar? And fill in the grooves that help to channel water away?

Don't listen to this guy, it's been said time and time again that using both a grind and tar at the same time is pointless.

no I mean a dead grind (Y)

meh, when you slip on your arse and smack your coccyx real hard youll wish you got a grind and some good pads.

I was using Monty brake spray instead of tar and this happened to me...2 weeks of not being able to ride because of the pain. Needless to say I used my downtime wisely and ground my rim and invested in some heatsinks yellows!

I think tar/brake spray is ok to a point but when you need to start relying on hold and reliable brakes you will need to make the change.

It doesn't.

Tar can be good and bad, make sure it's not contaminated, not wet, and you've put the right amount on. Then it's good, failure to do so, it's bad.

It's all the people who haven't learnt how to use tar who put it down, they're just inexperienced tongue.gif

no,it gives you hell a more hold and also improves bite significantly. :rolleyes:

+2

I use a grind on my 26" trials bike with heatsink pads, awesome brake, but really loud. Got some atomz pads on a smooth rim on my 24" as i want a quiet brake with modulation, its not too bad, and I use a bit of tar when I need a better brake, its really good, just doesnt work in the wet, and you only need a tiny bit.

At least with a grind you can count on its consistancy. You know a grind is going to conistantly wear down, to a point when its time for a re-grind.

With tar, there is not a great deal of consistancy, there are too many variables. For example, the temperature on the day you use it, the conditions in which you use it, the location in which you use it.

On one day, a smudge of tar on the rim could give you good hold all day. The next day, it could be gone in 10 minutes. You could be pootling around on small obsticals, not really relying on the brake then decide to go for something large, like a drop to rail and have it fail on you.

I'd much rather a smooth/ground rim with a decent brake set up over tar anyday!

Edited by Trials Punk