Port Forwarding Issues.

JT!

I've had issues with port forwarding ever since I can remember.

I've never got it. At the moment we have a Vonage box that attaches the the router/modem. Then you can connect a phone to the vonage box and you can make call through it.

However it only works when the router firewall is turned off.

I've read This,

I have a very basic understanding of any of this stuff, so if anyone can help me that'd be great.

1. How do I assign a static IP address to the vonage adapter (like it says I should do?)

2. I can't edit any of the port forwarding on the router (moterola) but i can change the port triggers (is that the same thing?)

Ok, I've now found a way to edit the forwarding ports. But i don't know what to put in the LAN IP Address, i guess this is supposed to be the vonage adapter's ip (and that figures why it needs to be made static) any ideas on how do I change it? :unsure:

OK I've found out how to change the port forwarding, but don't know what to put in the IP address. I'm assuming it needs to be the IP address of the vonage adapter, but i don't know what that is or how to do it. :unsure:

I'll try my best to explain it...

Ports allow data to be sent/received to an IP address, having a port means that you are able to access the same IP in more than one method, a good example is browsing the net (port 80) whilst reading email (110) at the same time.

So, you have a basic network place, Computer A, Router, Internet.

Internet--->(81.134.24.33)<---ROUTER--->(192.168.1.1)---><---Computer A(192.168.1.102)

Because nothing outside the Router can see the internal network, it will send data to the external IP Address (81.134.24.33) to be processed by the router, in turn this will then send the data to the appropriate computer on the network.

Port forwarding is generally used when NAT (Network Address Translation) is not available, so you must then define a port in which data will be processed through, and an IP address to and from. For example you can assign something to go from 83.XXX.XXX.XXX (external) on port 834 to 192.168.1.102 (internal) on port 834, all data sent from this address will go through port 834 and your router will relay the data to the computer on your internal network.

Also note that ports can only be used by one port at a time, most routers will acknowledge this but some may not, if you have conflictions it will either a) not work, B) corrupt any data.

Hope thats clear - easier to explain with a pen and paper drawing!

Port triggering is port forwarding - so you're looking in the right place.

I'm probably going to cover what you already have figured out for clarity -

Basically, internet traffic is directed to and from your computer with assigned channels of communication (ports) so everything goes directly to where it needs to be. A firewall quite handily stops a lot of traffic from random ports as they can be abused for illegitimate entry into a system. So you need to basically 'forward' specific incoming and outgoing traffic through specific ports to your Vonage box. The ports you need are listed in the support page.

The ports need to be directed to a specific IP address which will have been assigned by the router and you should be able to find through an 'Attached Devices' menu or similar. Once you find this, you've got all the info you need to forward your ports. The only problem is the router will probably assign a new IP to the Vonage box if the connection is interrupted - and the port forwarding will obviously be ineffective. So there should also be another menu where you can assign a static IP to the box so you never have to change the settings.

If you post the model of router you have, we (I know someone will step in at the same time as me!) might be able to point you in the right direction menu-wise.

Makes sence.

I've been doing some searching, I think if i could access the vonage adapter i should know what to do from there. But i can't :(

IP should be http://192.168.15.1/ but it brings up nothing.

You probably won't be able to access the Vonage box through a web browser. Besides - all of the IP allocation and port forwarding will be handled by the router.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

So how can I access it?

Vonage works fine with the firewall off, doesn't work with the firewall on so surely it's a port forwarding issue?

So how can I access it?

Vonage works fine with the firewall off, doesn't work with the firewall on so surely it's a port forwarding issue?

From what I gather the Vonage is a VoIP phone?

So you've got

Internet<-->Router<-->Vonage

Yeah?

If that's the case - everything needs to be configured in the router. What's the model of the router?

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

From what I gather the Vonage is a VoIP phone?

So you've got

Internet<-->Router<-->Vonage

Yeah?

If that's the case - everything needs to be configured in the router. What's the model of the router?

Yes that's right. Motorola sbg900

Windows Firewall?

If that is the case then I would turn off the Windows Firewall and use an alternative, however your router may have a firewall anyway...

The vonage adapter isn't connected to a computer, and works without a computer. The router has a firewall, when i turn the routers firewall of, it works fine, when i turn it on, it stops working.

Eugh, I've garnered all of my router know-how from learning about port forwarding with Netgears - so trying to firgure it out for the Motorola is being a headache. I've found the support guide but I'm unsure as to how you'll find the IP of attached devices.

I *think* it might be listed in Cable->Addresses (or maybe Gateway->LAN -- yes, I'm having several stabs in the dark) and you might possibly get the option of assigning an IP in Cable->Configuration

as for the port forwarding - I was going to suggest a pretty long winded method but this works, apparently http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG900/Vonage.htm

So basically, you want to find the current IP of the Vonage, (assign a static address so you don't have to reconfigure) and follow the port forwarding guide above - and it should all be working!

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

yeah if I knew its IP I think I could work the rest out.

post-4715-0-73544100-1305584602_thumb.pn

That's all I see.

So basically, you want to find the current IP of the Vonage, (assign a static address so you don't have to reconfigure) and follow the port forwarding guide above - and it should all be working!

Yes exactly that. I figured out how to forward the ports, just no idea what the ip address of the vonage adapter is which is where i'm stuck right now.

yeah if I knew its IP I think I could work the rest out.

post-4715-0-73544100-1305584602_thumb.pn

That's all I see.

Yes exactly that. I figured out how to forward the ports, just no idea what the ip address of the vonage adapter is which is where i'm stuck right now.

Is the Voange connected at the moment? To me that looks like the list of associated MAC addresses - one being the router itself and the other presumably being the computer you're connected with...

When i took the screenshot it was conected and working to the router via it's ethernet port.

Weird - I would have expected it to show up, but regardless, that page isn't showing the IP address of the current connected device, so isn't much use. Is there anything useful under Gateway->LAN?

On the second screen - is there anything under DHCP lease table?

It looks like there wants to be. If not, I'm going to have to admit defeat I'm afraid, JT :(

I'll leave you with this though - http://support.vonage.com/doc/en_us/1098.xml

The Vonage support page which simply advises to turn off your firewall... :shifty:

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

Yes! 4 ip addresses, 3 of which are mine, mother in laws and wifes laptop, one unnamed with the ip of 192.168.0.10

But, that ip won't take me to the vonage interface. :(

Should i just forward the ports to that ip?

Edited by JT!

Yes! 4 ip addresses, 3 of which are mine, mother in laws and wifes laptop, one unnamed with the ip of 192.168.0.10

But, that ip won't take me to the vonage interface. :(

Should i just forward the ports to that ip?

Yes, yes you should!

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG900/Vonage.htm This apparently forwards all the ports you need to.

Edit: They're trying to sell you a program but if you just forward the ports and send them to the LAN IP address 192.168.0.10 (looks like you only have to specify the end '10' part) its should be working if that guide forwards everything you need to forward.

Anyway, it's bed time for me - since it's nearly tomorrow - good luck!

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

Forwarded the ports on that site. Didn't work, then went to the vonage site and forwarded all the ports that they said to do, still doesn't work. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Have you checked to see if the vonage shows an ip when the phone's in use??

Probably a stupid question but worth a try.

EDIT: After having a scan round it would appear there's loads of people struggling with the same vonage and motorola combo as there's no way around the firewall problem. Everywhere I looked the solution recommended was to get a seperate cable modem and wireless router so you can run the vonage into the modem and your laptops through the wireless router which lets you keep the routers firewall enabled whilst disabling it on the modem (if needs be) to use the phone without any problems.

Edited by isitafox

I see. Vonage works fine with no firewall on the modem, it's how we've been running it for years which probably isn't good.

When you're actually using the phone nothing shows up, no different IP addresses or anything.