Chain Line Problem

l33th3tr33

I've just swapped my frame and rear wheel for a because simple and profile hub. The chain line is way out. the BB is a trial tech race, try all cranks (160mm) and obviously profile rear hub with 12t sprocket.

The chain pulls out at the BB end, I've taken the BB spacer out and the little washer in between the BB and crank, which makes it slightly better, but still not right.

What do?

Also the hub makes a kind of creak when putting any power into the pedals, is this chain line or a buggered hub? The hub has recently been serviced apparently.

I've just swapped my frame and rear wheel for a because simple and profile hub. The chain line is way out. the BB is a trial tech race, try all cranks (160mm) and obviously profile rear hub with 12t sprocket.

The chain pulls out at the BB end, I've taken the BB spacer out and the little washer in between the BB and crank, which makes it slightly better, but still not right.

What do?

Also the hub makes a kind of creak when putting any power into the pedals, is this chain line or a buggered hub? The hub has recently been serviced apparently.

are you running a front freewheel without a bashring? because without a bashring the freewheel will be closer to the cranks making the chainline out.the bashring will act as a spacer bringing the freewheel closer to the bb which will make your chainline a lot better.

hope this helps

It's a 128mm I believe. Trial tech race.

Can you get spacers to go inbetween the hub and sprocket?

Depends what profile dude, i had a profile on my old pythong and chain line was pretty mint, but i wasnt running a 128mm bb, was either a 117mm or 122 i cant remember, T'was a gigapipe if that helps at all. + i ran a bashring too so that helped a little. also regarding the creaking thing, its most likely to be chainline, ive had two profiles both of which broke :P but neither of them creaked whatsoever :)

Personally id say thats fine.... my profile was exactly the same, as in the chain sat across oneside of the sprocket more than it did than the other, like yours

EDIT: Why not try running the cams on the outside of the frame? never ran cams on mine so that could help?

Edited by dirt jumper jake

Personally id say thats fine.... my profile was exactly the same, as in the chain sat across oneside of the sprocket more than it did than the other, like yours

EDIT: Why not try running the cams on the outside of the frame? never ran cams on mine so that could help?

And thats why your frame cracked :P

• 2 years later...

I know it's been quite a while since the last post but I am having the exact same "problem" on my new mod build, where the freewheel is further out than the sprocket. I once asked Tarty and here's their reply:

The chain alignment is not quite as critical as most people think, even up to 10mm misaligned (or more) it still works fine. My mod is currently 12mm "off" with no ill effects.

So in theory it shouldn't be a problem, yet common sense tells me that a chain should be as straight as possible, so I'd like to know how if the original poster experienced any problems while running a skewed chain line for a long time.

Edited by Scoox

Iv also had this problem and many others have. As long as the chain is not rubbing on the seat stay underside then id say its fine. (My chain was cutting into my frame! )

I put a spacer/washer on the drive side axle on the inside just to move stays out a few more MM,

You could try the echo spacer AND bash ring then put the freewheel on. But check out if you have enough threads on the crank (if its a fixed sprocket on the front as it should be) then you shoyld have enough threads to do this..

or

Replace the BB as last resort.

My chain line looks just like yours, so if you say it's a non-issue then I'll just leave it alone, as I am not getting any rubbing.

You could try the echo spacer AND bash ring then put the freewheel on. But check out if you have enough threads on the crank (if its a fixed sprocket on the front as it should be) then you shoyld have enough threads to do this..

or

Replace the BB as last resort.

Thought about that, but I am afraid the freewheel might eventually strip the crank threads. Reaplacing the BB is not an option as it's the Echo Spanish BB. Getting a wider chain may make the misalignment less obvious though. Right now I am using a very narrow Monty chain I fished out from a box of spares, purchased about 12 years ago, packaging still labelled in Spanish "pesetas" :D

Edited by Scoox

There you go. Collectors item, a real shame I took it out of the packaging and it's on my bike right now. By the way the chain line thing with this rather narrow Monty chain some times makes noises when rolling the bike backwards (i.e. with the chain "relaxed"), although I expect this to get go away after a few days of use. In any case, it's no biggie.

2013-06-29-110135%20Monty%20original%20c

Edited by Scoox