Help Gap To Front/up To Front

gary-mac

Hi peeps how are we all, right i was out tonight and as usual am trying to nail up to fronts and gap to fronts from a static position. I always prepare myself as if am going for a gap with the bike angled slightly with good foot on the outside, it works but i find it tucks under alot so i changed it and tried the other way with good foot to the inside. It feels wierd at first but it really does work better and doesn't tuck under even when the gap gets bigger.

any advice on this move and the best way you find the best.

cheers

garymac

Edited by gary-mac

Alot of comittment and balls dude! Start of low and short and work your way up. :)

Very true sam, am getting more balls every time i go out but it still feels dodgy. managing around 2pallets up to 6 at around 6ft gap but as said i really need to find the correct position, set up as if your going for a normal gap to back wheel or do you start off the opposite way.

a good front brake is a must. putting all your confidence in it. you wouldnt do a large gap with a slipping back brake, same for the front need to have faith that it will grip.

cheers dude, thats one thing thats works (Y)

As soon as you front wheel hits the object, shove all your weight over the bars. This will bring the rear wheel higher, as well as the pivoting motion bringing the front wheel onto the flat top of the pallet. Prime position for either rolling on or some silky smooth wheelswapage......

:D

don't stand too close to the objekt, you need space to lower your frontwheel (I sometimes fails by hitting the objekt with the front when I'm tucking =P )

start leaning a bit foreward already before your backwheel leaves the ground, so your bike turns foreward in the air. when your front touches the objekt, you should already have your bar quite near your belly and your knees foreward, and lift your feet as high as possible so the backwheel gets higher. something like that! =P ;)

trashzen!

hope that helps! =)

a good front brake is a must. putting all your confidence in it. you wouldnt do a large gap with a slipping back brake, same for the front need to have faith that it will grip.

I hate to contradict this, but you don't realy need a good front brake to do gaps to front, I used to just tap the front wheel on the edge and use the momentum to carry the rear wheel onto the object, I find it works particularly well when there is alot of height involved as i always used to find getting my weight far enough forward for the brake to hold difficult, that and finding a front brake to hold 19st+ on a large front wheel gap is not easy!

As for technique, I always found that for front wheel gaps i would always line up fairly straight before the gap, I would only angle to one side if the gap was too narrow to allow my front wheel to drop when preloading. when your lining up give a good preload but try not to let the front wheel drop too low, drop your body more, this keeps the front wheel nice and high for when your launching towards the object, when in the air you want to try and get the rear wheel high before your front wheel hits the edge, this means that when your front wheel hits the edge and you apply the brake (assuming your using the brake) it means that the rear wheel is more likely to be guided smoothly onto the object and not hit the edge. Other than that getting you weight far forward when you land is a must when using the brake, it gives you loads of options when what to do, either roll onto the object smoothly or switch to rear.....

A good example of getting the rear wheel high in the air can be seen at 32seconds into this vid:

And lots of brakeless front wheel gaps here:

Good luck Gary, keep at it!

Adam

I hate to contradict this, but you don't realy need a good front brake to do gaps to front, I used to just tap the front wheel on the edge and use the momentum to carry the rear wheel onto the object, I find it works particularly well when there is alot of height involved as i always used to find getting my weight far enough forward for the brake to hold difficult, that and finding a front brake to hold 19st+ on a large front wheel gap is not easy!

As for technique, I always found that for front wheel gaps i would always line up fairly straight before the gap, I would only angle to one side if the gap was too narrow to allow my front wheel to drop when preloading. when your lining up give a good preload but try not to let the front wheel drop too low, drop your body more, this keeps the front wheel nice and high for when your launching towards the object, when in the air you want to try and get the rear wheel high before your front wheel hits the edge, this means that when your front wheel hits the edge and you apply the brake (assuming your using the brake) it means that the rear wheel is more likely to be guided smoothly onto the object and not hit the edge. Other than that getting you weight far forward when you land is a must when using the brake, it gives you loads of options when what to do, either roll onto the object smoothly or switch to rear.....

Good luck Gary, keep at it!

Adam

great stuff guys thanks!! I'll keep at it adam thats for sure, i'll def try not to lower the front to much as this is possible what am doing wrong some times as it ends up front under and back wheel to high. practise makes perfect so they say lol.

thanks again. (Y)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE, right after the advice/help you guys have giving me i thought about it and then started trying to get the move. so after watching adams vids and alex darks latest vid about 300hundred times which helped hughly!! Its all come together at last, last week it just clicked and now doing some quite beasty gaps to front and up to fronts. still needing to perfect it but its getting there. Going to start making a video this week so i hope the weather holds so i can get some good shots.

thanks again guys!