Speccy S Works M5

Endohopper

First off - this general cycling sub forum is one of the best additions to our hallowed forum in years , good show mods ! My question -

I'm on the very brink of going ahead with buying a used bike and need your advice whether it's overpriced or not . It's this speccy m5 which I'm going to inspect / collect tonight . The ad's largely in Dutch but I guess you can make out most of the spec ?

King hubs & headset ,carbon fork ,XTR STI and v's , eggbeaters etc , seemingly in great condition . The fella wants 1100 € for it ( approx 994 quid. ) Hideously overpriced / reasonable / bargain ?

Not massively overpriced if it's in perfect condition. Those were seriously posh hardtails back in the day, and that's basically pro spec. But yeah, I wouldn't want one, and it's probably a bit of a steep price for a pretty old bike.

Mind you, I don't know what the second hand bike market in the Netherlands is like...

It is massively over priced. It may have been a top end frame a few years back, but tech trickles down so quickly. A second hand rigid MTB for a grand, no thank you.

Sorry just realised it's old XTR rear mech, xtr vees :S You could get so much more for your money. Although I imagine the 2nd hand market in the Netherlands is a little small?

Edited by craigjames

...second hand bike market in the Netherlands ...

... 2nd hand market in the Netherlands ...

:D Choice aplenty actually ,up to and includin' full sus DH monsters (in the topographically flattest country in Europe ! :S ) but I really want a fully rigid bike with V's . I thought that my Cannondale , also secondhand from the same site would do the trick :

post-3439-0-19481800-1309752248_thumb.jp

...but the blasted lockout still leaves ,like 5mm of motion which jars unpleasantly like bone scraping on bone and emits a smoothness killing thunk . :sick: You're right -the Speccy's spec :ermm: really is dated though having seen it in person,it really is in literally perfect condition though I declined the purchase . It's in my favour that I can wait a while as most buyers want sus , disc brakes etc so it'll be available for a while yet . Hmmm , First World problems ...