Bike Advice Needed

davidbarr

Topic change. Budget has gone up to 600 since last time I posted! Been offered a bike and want to know your opinions on it.

2008 meta 4 resprayed black.

Brand new rock shox domain 318 forks 115-160mm travel

Brand new nukeproof warhead stem 50mm

Brand new sunline v1 bars

Brand new superstar headset

Brand new lizard skins grips

Hope hoops

Deore crank resprayed black

Formula oro brakes 160mm rotors

Raceface post

Wtb saddle

Saint rear mech

Slx Shifters (new)

Xt front mech (new)

Gusset slim jim pedals

Xt cassette and chain

Rear shock is a rockshox bar

This is for 520, which seems like really good value for money. Anyone have any experience with these bikes?

Here is a picture, but this is before some of the parts listed above were put on it.link

Also, it won't have all the pink on it, haha.

Edited by davidbarr

Carrera bikes are fine, I've got a road bike made by them it was great value. At that price, you're never going to get anything that anyone's going to lust over (sorry to say), and as you say, the specs are all pretty similar. So find a good deal, try it out for size and go for it.

I'm selling my Carrera Kraken, looking for £250 plus postage - upgraded a few parts on it and have loads of spare bits. Interested?

Either way, they're good bikes - I'm only selling mine as I don't enjoy that kinda riding, I like small bikes I can use to injure myself :)

Carrera bikes are fine, I've got a road bike made by them it was great value. At that price, you're never going to get anything that anyone's going to lust over (sorry to say), and as you say, the specs are all pretty similar. So find a good deal, try it out for size and go for it.

Yeah, I know i won't get something amazing for that price, just looking for something to go for rides on and off road with, but want something that will last me well :) Would I be better off looking down the second hand route?

Thanks

I'm selling my Carrera Kraken, looking for £250 plus postage - upgraded a few parts on it and have loads of spare bits. Interested?

Either way, they're good bikes - I'm only selling mine as I don't enjoy that kinda riding, I like small bikes I can use to injure myself :)

PM'd :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My budget has gone up to about £400 now. Been looking on pinkbike/ebay and think I will probably go for something second hand. After going trail riding at Glentress and hiring an Orange 5, I really would like a full susser but I guess they're too expensive.

• 1 month later...

This makes no sense - you've basically started a completely different topic, and now all the replies look confused. Next time just start a new topic. Whatever - to answer your question:

Commencal make (made?) two 4 inch travel full sussers that look very similar but are in fact very different. The Meta 4 (or 4.1/4.2/4.3) is an XC race bike. The Meta 4x (four cross) is a four cross race bike used by the likes of Dan Atherton in world cup 4x races - essentially it's a jump bike with a bit of travel at the back. Some people apparently ride the 4x as a sort of hardcore XC bike, apparently they're quite fun because they're low and fast and like to be off the ground. BUT don't get the two confused - the picture you've posted is the XC meta (you can tell since the Meta 4x has a very different swingarm to all the post-2007 XC bikes).

Basically this guy is running 160mm forks on a frame designed around 100mm forks, which is asking for trouble and will probably make it handle like shite, too. Commencal full sus frames are well-known for cracking / snapping so check the frame over with a fine tooth comb before handing over any cash. I'd also always be very careful buying second hand bikes that have been resprayed - it's a very simple way to cover up those hairline cracks that Commencals are well-known for. On the other hand at least it looks as though he's ridden it for a bit after respraying so perhaps I shouldn't be so cynical. Aside from the bizarre / stupid frame/fork combo, it looks like a fairly reasonable spec for the money (particularly the Hope wheels which alone are worth ~£200 second hand.

Swap the forks for some 130mm U turn Revelations (wound down to 115mm for all round riding) and you'll sharpen up the handling, lighten the bike by a pound or two and you'll have a fun XC machine.