I've Got A Shitty Brake

Matthew62

Mines full of shit. Works.

Well that's what i was kinda thinking. Tonnes of people must have it like yours and it be okay.

I understand why Kris has cleaned his all out - after all that's what i did, but i imagine most don't and they (like you, you lucky f**k!) have wonderous happy years with a nice water bleed.

just a good bleed with clear water coming out) and it worked for 2 rides.

See, this just adds to the "still got gunk in there" theory. It fits perfectly with what i've found myself when first converting to water bleeds nearly half a decade ago on this very same magura i'm using now. It took a few rides to dislodge the crap and a fresh bleed everytime it got really slow brought it back up to being light and springy again. After 5-6 of these it seemed to stay working very nicely. When doing a friends a litttle later we tried the hot water and washing up liquid with a syringe at each end and pushed/pulled the washing up liquid through the magura. The stuff that came out was dark black and stank of magura blood. He'd had his brake bled with water for 2 weeks previously. He didn't need to rebleed with water after that.

Because you were being a tit :P

I only mentioned not being thoroughly cleaned because the slave pistons are rather hard to get into. What tends to happen with water in the brake when you've still got a bit of oil left is you'll get a nice sticky grey gunk that coats the insides of the slaves. If you where to take your lever apart after a couple of rides and have a look at the lever spring i'd imagine you'd have the same stuff all over that too. Because the slaves are so hard to clean as you can't get into them there's likely a bit in there you missed. Thats why the hot water and washing up liquid works well as the heat and the washing up liquid both break down any remaining bits of magura blood. If i remember correctly my original bleed with water took 5-6 bleeds over a couple of weeks before it felt better and after each bleed more gunk came out. I'm only mentioning from experience that one thorough clean didn't work for me and i know i ceaned it up to a nice shine in the lever myself too.

The thing about the plastic swelling was covered recently in another thread. Most plastics soak up a small amount of water and swell, much in the same way wood does. It's not by much but the tolerances inside a magura are very fine so even a small amount of swelling makes the pistons slightly stiffer.

I'll try and find the thread for it.

EDIT: Found it, one of the top results for "sticky pistons" :lol:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/163793-using-water-and-got-sticky-pistons/page__hl__sticky+pistons

Yeah i remember reading that - i'm sure that is the case with mine, but i did sand the piston some time ago to reduce it's diameter but to no avail. I think it's an interesting idea and i would of hoped it would lead to some beautiful hope-disc-brake-eque Maguras in a nice machined, tough finish.

Well that's what i was kinda thinking. Tonnes of people must have it like yours and it be okay.

I understand why Kris has cleaned his all out - after all that's what i did, but i imagine most don't and they (like you, you lucky f**k!) have wonderous happy years with a nice water bleed.

I'd imagine it depends on how long they had the magura before they did a water bleed. What conditions the magura was used in (dust/saltwater/snow around seals etc) probably plays a factor in how hard/easy it is to bleed a magura with water for the first time. See after 5 years of magura oil use i'd imagine yours to be a pig of a brake to switch over to water, but a lot of people nowadays buy a magura new and switch it to water or buy a second hand one with quite a few second hands ones already being bled with water. Those who can't get it to work probably just bled it a load of times until it felt nice, which is what i did in the beginning.

See, this just adds to the "still got gunk in there" theory. It fits perfectly with what i've found myself when first converting to water bleeds nearly half a decade ago on this very same magura i'm using now. It took a few rides to dislodge the crap and a fresh bleed everytime it got really slow brought it back up to being light and springy again. After 5-6 of these it seemed to stay working very nicely. When doing a friends a litttle later we tried the hot water and washing up liquid with a syringe at each end and pushed/pulled the washing up liquid through the magura. The stuff that came out was dark black and stank of magura blood. He'd had his brake bled with water for 2 weeks previously. He didn't need to rebleed with water after that.

Thanks.

Edited by Matthew62

You're still not getting it.

I am talking about 2 occasions.

1 occasion: 'clean of it's life - 2 years ago)

2nd occasion - current day just a good water bleed - probably with some gunk in it.

My point (for the 756th time) is that both scenarios lead to = brake no worky.

I know now currently, to this day, at this moment, right now, today, here my brake has shit in it so it might contribute to it not working (although i still don't agree entirely as i've explained i imagine most peoples brakes are like this)

But i also know , that 2 years, ago, some time ago, in the past, not now, in 2009, when i was 2 years younger, before the recession really hit that there was NO SHIT, NO NOTHING - just water as THEN it had the clean to end all cleans. It was shitter than it is now.

Please tell me you get it now?

Yeah i understood the first time you wrote it, cheers for the patronisation :rolleyes: . But you said you only cleaned it once 2 years ago. Not "clean it well, ride it for a week, clean it again and rebleed, ride for a week, clean again" until feeling nice.

I'm not being thick, nor am i saying you did a crap job cleaning it. What i am saying is this:

The cause of the sticking could well be gunk in the slave cylinders, without removing the pistons its going to be virtually impossible to clean it all out :(

Most people say dont touch the stuff but i swear by it, use a tiny amount of tar on your rims, even with not so good pads it works amazing.

His problem is sticky pistons, putting tar on increases his chance of sticking.

Plus, nearly all pads will work good with tar. If you want a consistently good brake either grind or go disc.