Chris King Hub, Somethings Cracked New Axle Needed?

old'scoolfool

just got a king and took the cassette off to set it up for singlespeed and see this

post-29678-0-62526400-1311439898_thumb.j

is the freehuhub damaged? just the axle or something that can be replaced?

if so does anyone who's upgraded to a heavy duty axle have a their original they'd sell me?

cheers in advance

Edited by old'scoolfool

It looks like it's just the serrated edge that's chipped off a little. Bolt it up like normal and see how it gets on - chances are it'll function just fine and be nothing to worry about and could save you the time/money/hassle of replacing the axle. If it comes down to it and the wheel slips a little then you can always go and replace it, but makes sense to work out if it's necessary first (Y)

It looks like it's just the serrated edge that's chipped off a little. Bolt it up like normal and see how it gets on - chances are it'll function just fine and be nothing to worry about and could save you the time/money/hassle of replacing the axle. If it comes down to it and the wheel slips a little then you can always go and replace it, but makes sense to work out if it's necessary first (Y)

the axle itself seems fine its just the serated edge you mentioned that has the chip in it, can i replace just that bit lol?

no, just keep using it, it's fine.

+1

Bigman told me about the serrated sleeves cracking on HD king axles, he said he filed the serrations out in order to eliminate the stress raisers. I dont think its going to cause any problems for the axle, might be worth filing the other end down though :)

+1

Bigman told me about the serrated sleeves cracking on HD king axles, he said he filed the serrations out in order to eliminate the stress raisers. I dont think its going to cause any problems for the axle, might be worth filing the other end down though :)

thanks for the advice lads i'll keep an eye on it, put my mind at ease a bit thought it was going to get costly

Edited by old'scoolfool