Magura Piston Problem

Matthew_Gibson

I took the lever out of my brake yesterday to clean it all before bleeding. and the piston stayed up at the top of the lever body. I was going to change the lever anyway as it was cracked. but the new one didnt come with the spring and piston. I looked on tarty and they are discontinued :( so after a search on the bay, and Google and cant find one anywhere.

Do i just need the seal? i would have liked to change the whole lot though

cheers lads

RIGHT! new one! I bled it, with no air in at all. Went got a ride, the lever was spot on. seemed awesome. Got on the bike today, pressed the brake and the lever has about 1.5cm free play in. as if the piston not seating in the correct place. Its a brand new lever body.

anyone shed some light on the problem?!

I don't understand the problem.

You've got 1,5cm play in the lever caused by the piston not returning or there being air in the system?

If the piston isn't returning, the usual trick is to flood it with WD40 from the top. Give it time to soak through, it should bounce back after a few minutes.

I don't understand the problem.

You've got 1,5cm play in the lever caused by the piston not returning or there being air in the system?

If the piston isn't returning, the usual trick is to flood it with WD40 from the top. Give it time to soak through, it should bounce back after a few minutes.

ill try that one, I did spray a bit in to see if it would unstick it, but was in a rush to get it fixed... cheers boss :)

Edited by Matthew_Gibson

I had the same problem about the piston being stuck down, so i put the leaver in a vice then sprayed a load of WD-40 in it, left it for a few days and by the time i came back to it, it had free'd itself off (:

fort_boyard_outside.jpg

RELEVANT.

I was gonna put something more useful as well, but I think you've already come to the right conclusion. Make sure to replace both of the seals.

Are you on a water bleed?

the piston and the seal? which other do you mean?

Yeah I will be bleeding it with water too. I'll update tomorrow if theres any changes with new seal and what not

problem solved.... got a new lever body, piston and seals off a mate. works MINT!

I did bled it with oil, as my dad didn't like the idea of water. no luck. So i cut the orange dirt seal off, (square one?) and popped the piston back in, no better. cut the o-ring off. no better. Even tried it with no seals. Just as a test. and it was still sticking. So I'm going to say its the piston at fault. But I have a awesome brake now. Trials-tech splitter is very nice. makes both pistons move together.