Recovery

Skoze

Morning all!

I'm writing this still aching like a bitch from a hard ride saturday, and i'm just wondering if anyone's got any tips for the future to make the process of muscle recovery a bit quicker? Got something coming up soon and I want to be riding pretty hard every day, don't want to miss 3 days before doing it again :P

Any ideas would be ace,

Matt

Morning all!

I'm writing this still aching like a bitch from a hard ride saturday, and i'm just wondering if anyone's got any tips for the future to make the process of muscle recovery a bit quicker? Got something coming up soon and I want to be riding pretty hard every day, don't want to miss 3 days before doing it again :P

Any ideas would be ace,

Matt

Ride more often :D

Unfortunately if you have a hard ride 'binge' youre going to suffer for it, red hot showers or a long hot bath does help me with the immediate aching. However if Ive actually pulled muscles it takes a couple of days for them to recover; that said Im getting old now and nothing recovers very quickly any more :(

The something you've got coming up soon is going to motivate you waaaaay past any aching limbs in the mornings (Y)

Stretch before and after. Coldest shower you can manage straight after followed by your normal heat shower promotes the movement of the lactic acid.

You could go down the route of taking some silly supplements but I'm not a fan.

A lot of athletes take ice baths, although cold water could be used as a substitute, after training to reduce recovery time. The cold apparrently makes blood rush to the muscles to help them repair quicker.

linky

Riding more often, for longer sessions, will also help as you will get stronger over time and need to use less energy, muscle, to do lines.

Edited by AndrewEH1

Seems like such a boring, obvious solution but i really believe it's all in pre and post stretching.

I've been hurting for a while as i ride a minimum of 6 days a week (mixture of trials, commuting, MTB) and in the early part of the summer i hurt continuously, and had a few occasions where i couldn't ride for a week or two through pulled muscles and aching back.

I've been more stringent with my stretching - making sure i do it before and after every ride and i hurt so much less it's barely believable. It feels like the strain on my body is much fewer and i now really only mainly get pain through tired legs if i've cycled for say 10 days straight without a day off.

Just stretch like a b*****d and i imagine you'll see an improvement.