Creating Space For Thick Pads

Pete.M

I've got some new pads that are proving difficult to fit. The left rear brake, mount, and piston cannot move further away from the rim, yet the new pad is constantly against it. There must be a design flaw somewhere. What I'm wondering is, can I move the wheel over using washers etc? Are there other options?

Cheers guys.

is the wheel in the dead centre? if its not touching on the other side then the wheel may need re-truing. other solution is to sand the pad down slightly or buy some of these,

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/brake_clamps/tensile_offset_magura_mounts/c74p10030.html

The wheel has barely any wobble, but doesn't appear central to the frame, I think it's closer to the frame on the left if that's what you were asking.

£20 for mounts? Ouch. I think I'd rather sand the pad back. Thanks for your help. Also, is there a name for the rear part of a bicycle frame? Like subframe?

The wheel has barely any wobble, but doesn't appear central to the frame, I think it's closer to the frame on the left if that's what you were asking.

£20 for mounts? Ouch. I think I'd rather sand the pad back. Thanks for your help. Also, is there a name for the rear part of a bicycle frame? Like subframe?

Chainstay? Dropout? It depends which area in particular you mean.

Took a closer look, the whole wheel looks to be slightly over to the left. Bad frame design or something. Any other solutions?

A less important issue, this time the front brake. The brake seems to work fine but I can't understand how this necking in the cable is possible? Shouldn't there be a sort of nipple like the one that the other cable is on? It just seems to have disappeared...

IMAG0141.jpg

Anyone feel like giving me a new bike?

nah havn't got the kit yet, trying to decide if its worth getting a new hub...

i've got a booster though, thanks to dave biddle (Y)

try adjusting how your wheels is in the dropouts, it could be that there not perfectly lined up so you need to have one side of the hub further out (if that makes sense lol)

and that cable is crazy :P if it works it should be fine, be careful not to catch it though, looks a bit fragile :giggle:

nah havn't got the kit yet, trying to decide if its worth getting a new hub...

i've got a booster though, thanks to dave biddle (Y)

try adjusting how your wheels is in the dropouts, it could be that there not perfectly lined up so you need to have one side of the hub further out (if that makes sense lol)

and that cable is crazy :P if it works it should be fine, be careful not to catch it though, looks a bit fragile :giggle:

Hard decision, I could really do with a better hub too.

EDIT: You were right! Thanks man. Now I feel kinda stupid but hey.

Edited by Pete.M

The wheel also can seem not to be centered when the spokes that (for instance) come from the left side of you hub, have more tension on them than those which come from the right. That will naturally pull your rim over to the left a little. Good if you found the solution though :)(Y)