Switch To Ffw?

Theta2

Hi guys I'm currently running an Echo SL freewheel on the rear of my bike and Middleburns up front (22-18) but i find this gearing too easy to pedal and I don't feel I can get as much power down as if it was a little harder. I know the right set-up for 18t on the rear is 23-18 but I don't want to go bigger than the current 'Burns bashring. My question is would 18-15 gearing be noticeably harder? I can do this quite cheaply as I already have a freewheel and a screw on rear hub, and the switch would save me around 94g. I'm quite favouring the idea provided the ratio will be enough of a difference. My only apprehension is the trouser munching factor.

Feedback greatly appreciated, Thanks, Alex

26" yeah? 18:15 will actually be about the same as 22:18.

22:18-19 is about the standard on stock for have a 22T chainring. But if you want it too feel harder then 22:18 and you want the freewheel up front, then mabye try 18:14. But that might upset your chain tension if you have horizontal drop outs and might require a half-link, as most frames are designed with 18:15 in mind ( if you have vertical drop outs then you won't have any problems ).

26" yeah? 18:15 will actually be about the same as 22:18.

22:18-19 is about the standard on stock for have a 22T chainring. But if you want it too feel harder then 22:18 and you want the freewheel up front, then mabye try 18:14. But that might upset your chain tension if you have horizontal drop outs and might require a half-link, as most frames are designed with 18:15 in mind ( if you have vertical drop outs then you won't have any problems ).

I'm gonna go for 18-14 now, Thank you :) (I have vertical dropouts)

In reply to the trouser munching factor I think you'll be surprised at how little this will happen, unless you wear super baggy pants to ride in anyway (Y):lol:

I always wear jeans to ride in anyway and they are never really baggy, Thanks very much :)

I was running a 22-18 with Middleburns and I changed to a 20-16. Quite a nice set up. I have run 18-15 and it felt a little hard.

I ran 20 - 16 before my current setup of 18 ffw and 15 on the back fixed and i can honestly say that 18 -15 is way easier gearing than 20-16!