Mod Disc Size

Matthew_Gibson

Just got my Monty Dual disc built up and working. Just had a quick blast on it. I've changed the front disc to 203mm. Its got LOADS of bite and hold etc etc.

Just wondered if it would be a bit of overkill on the back? Its only got a 160mm on there now, its seems okay just lack of bit of something! I'll be changing the cable as its a bit sloppy. Just wondered before I get an adaptor

Cheers

Only problem with using anything larger than 160mm size rotor is that it would be more prone to getting knocked or hit on objects when your riding, side hopping for example. If I had a dual disk mod I'd stick with the 160 rotors rather than having to buy new 203 disks or straightening them each time I knock it when I may have got away with not hitting it at all with the smaller disk. But in the end its down to you mate.

Used a 203mm Hayes HFX-9 (or something like that) on the rear of a GU Typhoon and a Python many years ago and didn't hit it despite getting close a few times. The power was great as was modulation. Also ran a 180mm Mono Trial on a 221Ti and that felt perfect. Interesting fact: that brake didn't slip once, not even on very coarse rocks and Eagle Claw tyres. Usually the tyres would give first.

Edited by Greetings

Their is major advantages of smaller rotor discs.

1) modulation: You can lock, and you can tap to slow down which is important if you do manuels. Aside from manuels being able to slow rather than lock really has no use.

2) weight

3) strength, their is less leverage on a small rotor so it is less likely to bend or hit an obstacle in a side hop

The only pro to a large one is power. So if the small one holds well for you I would keep that because power is the only possible reason to upgrade size.