Gear Issues On A 15 Year Old Bike.

JT!

Can't figure this one out. 3 rings up front, and the chain won't drop down onto the bottom one, it just slips in between the bottom and middle cog. I've adjusted the screws but it's maxed out (unscrewed all the way out) and there's no tension on the cable when it's at it's bottom most. Any ideas?

Just bought it for $20, it just needed a good tuning up and it's pretty ok. The changer up front seems to be moving fine, even better since I sprayed it with oil.

I'm tired, I overlooked that :P

It still doesn't mean it ever worked on all three speeds at the front. Can you pull the cranks towards one side?

Edit: Put it this way, the mech is stopping on something - it's either the screw (but you've wound that out), the hole the screw screws through or some other kind of stop. If it's either of those, then it's been made so that it won't go further than that, so unless you bend that stop, it's not going to go past it.

If the one-piece crank can be fiddled with so that it sticks more out of one side than the other, then that'll be the same as a longer BB.

Edited by Revolver

Does it matter? Save some weight and remove the inner ring. Job done ;)

Is the mech cage bent? Or can it be 'tweaked to allow it to push the chain over a little more to achieve the movement required? Original (compatible) shifter? Meh, for $20 you should be happy that anything works at all!

It's for the mother in law who's morbidly obese so she needs the lowest ring, and possibly the lowest ring only so it's not that big of a deal that it can't changed back down because it won't be needed to be changed up, but i think it's worked its self lose now and seems to change between the two ok-ish.

Edited by JT!

• 4 weeks later...

Spring in the front mech not strong enough to pull the cage down? Seen it many times. New front mech should sort it.

If she's morbidly obese, all the more reason to remove the inner ring? In fact why not just make it singlespeed, 42:11?

Spring in the front mech not strong enough to pull the cage down? Seen it many times. New front mech should sort it.

If she's morbidly obese, all the more reason to remove the inner ring? In fact why not just make it singlespeed, 42:11?

She wouldn't even get on it with that gear ratio. :P