Paypal Sale Confusion!

GeorgeHB

Right I just agreed a price with someone to buy his bike over a forum. I sent the money agreed via paypal through the Purchase/goods section. This means that he was taxed paypals standard 3.4% + 20p rate. So now he gets in touch with me saying that the seller buyer is supposed to be responsable for the paypal fees and that i've ticked the wrong box. now i'm pretty sure that to be protected as a buyer I've ticked exactly the right box and its the seller who gets taxed but now he wants me to gift him the extra. to be honest I'm fuming so if someone could tell me if I'm in the right then I would be very happy otherwise I'm just going to get my money back and buy the bike brand new (which at this point is only an extra 100 anyway). Thank you in advance,

a drunk and enraged George

I'd just add that I've just sold my BMX and DH bike through paypal and both times lost out on the #.4% +20p that paypal charged so if I'm doing it wrong i will be very upset

Right I just agreed a price with someone to buy his bike over a forum. I sent the money agreed via paypal through the Purchase/goods section. This means that he was taxed paypals standard 3.4% + 20p rate. So now he gets in touch with me saying that the seller buyer is supposed to be responsable for the paypal fees and that i've ticked the wrong box. now i'm pretty sure that to be protected as a buyer I've ticked exactly the right box and its the seller who gets taxed but now he wants me to gift him the extra. to be honest I'm fuming so if someone could tell me if I'm in the right then I would be very happy otherwise I'm just going to get my money back and buy the bike brand new (which at this point is only an extra 100 anyway). Thank you in advance,

a drunk and enraged George

I'd just add that I've just sold my BMX and DH bike through paypal and both times lost out on the #.4% +20p that paypal charged so if I'm doing it wrong i will be very upset

you're right and hes full of it, if you pay as a gift you're not insured for squat. offer to send another few quid as a gift to cover the fees and if he refuses then he's clearly going to scam you

Edited by old'scoolfool

Generally paypal default is to charge the seller, hence him having the issue. However I think they have started offering you the option as to whether you want to pay the fees or not, although it's very rare that that comes up. :ermm:

So yeah you're perfectly in your right to ask for the money back as he mentioned nothing about you paying paypal fees previous to all this, if he refuses until you pay the taxes and fees report him to paypal (unless you don't mind paying the fees).

Do not send any money by gift that isn't a gift (unless it's just a few pounds to cover fees). Anyway, I still think they change you fees for sending it as a gift anyway.

If you Validate your PayPal account there aren't any charges for anything, well, im 99% sure of this, since validating mine I havent had any charges for Goods, gifts etc...

My account is 100% verified.

I get charged for anything. There is the option to choose who's charged, but there is still charges.

At which point does it say about the charges? 'Cause I've always paid via goods and never been questioned about not sending the right amount...?

The seller gets charged and most sellers know and expect this.

The seller definately cops for the charge, whenever I sell something and someone wants to pay via paypal I usually ask for payment as a gift or as a purchase plus a few quid extra to cover fees (unless it's under a quid in which case I'm not that tight). I'm not a scammer though and try to uphold a decent level of feedback so people will know they're safe buying from me, I feel it's ok to ask the buyer to pay the fees as it's protection for themselves it's covering in my opinion.