Packaging Forks

davidbarr

I used a cardboard box the approximate size of the forks (looking from the front) and cut the sides down to the side profile of the forks, taking into account the brake bosses. Wrapped the whole thing up securely with packaging tape and double layered cardboard over bits that could get knocked i.e. steerer tube, dropouts and brake mounts. Cost about 3 quid all in I think, if you know the weight of the forks, add 100-200g for packaging and have a look on the royal mail website for parce costs by weight :)

if you like to be thorough go to any bike shop, halfords will be usefull for this one... and ask for the packing plastic that comes in forks, it's a plastic wedge that goes in the drop out to stop the legs being bent inwards etc...

Hi there,

What I have done in the past (may appeal, may not)

from ASDA they have some industrial bin bags (blue in colour) they are either £2.48 / £5 (sorry for the difference in cost, can't remember exactly now) get a pack of 10 or whatever anyway.

I then bubble wrapped round brake bossess, top of the steerer tube and drop outs (protects the product) and I find each post office is individual in their rules, in that a comment was once made that a drop out of a frame could harm the post carrier....... so I OTT on bubble wrap now to keep him / her safe at work.

Anyway... once bubble wrapped, drop the forks in the blue bag (should fit just nicely) I wrap any remainder of the bin bag round the steerer (tight) and tape the hell out if sealed shut.

Obviously never looks the prettiest of parcels, but does the job easily for me (which I require haha)

postage, I'd say signed for first class your looking £2.50 - £3.50?? not bad..

Just off topic. BMX bars are a fun one to post and receive, on both occasions Ive been asked if I had ordered a boomerang haha!!

Hope this is of some help

Good luck

Thanks

Barry

• Like 2