Oldskoolish Xc Build

isitafox

Dug this old thing out my dads garage loft earlier and don't know what to do with it. I was actually looking for my old 13" 97 Specialized Rockhopper that I'd snapped in the hope of getting it repaired but that's been binned so this is the next best thing! Got original stx-rc v's with lx levers, stx-rc cranks and some very old indy c forks though the steerers miles too short so they'll have to go. Any suggestions what direction I should go with it??

IMG_20111231_203452.jpg

Edited by isitafox

Superlight XC build. Old school parts if you can (old XTR cranks, skinny tyres, possibly keep the forks, keep vee's).

That's the kind of thing I was thinking, got my old azonic world force riser bars that could go on and a couple of stxrc hubs that would do for now.

Forks need servicing, maybe the long travel kit if I can get hold of one and the steerer extending and they'd be spot on. Looks like my mission is on!

Right I've stripped the frame down this morning and made a plan. Gonna go down the oldschool(ish) trail bike route as cheap as possible, here is my plan;

The cranks are fecked so will need replacing (unless someones got a non driveside STX-RC kicking about?!) with something similar though I'll probably stick to a single chainring as I hate setting up shifters and it's more expense I don't need.

Brakes will do the job for the time being, the only problem with STX-RC arms is they use standard canti pads (currently fitted with some vintage koolstops!!) so I'll either swap them for some proper V type or knock together a little bracket to use V pads on them.

Headset is sound.

Got a few stems and an old pair of Azonic world force risers that'll go on nicely.

Forks will probably need the steerer extending and maybe seals replacing so thats something to look out for.

Need a set of wheels, on the lookout for something oldish, maybe 521's on lx hubs, though anything lightish (and cheap/free) will do the job.

Got a few old tyres in my dads garage I can sort from but will probably end up using some semi slicks for commuting to work, suicide set of Tioga downhills will surfice for now.

Pedals will be a cheap set of platforms from the tarts probably.

Saddle again will be something cheapish.

Gears depend on whats available wheelwise, 7,8 or 9 speed at the back and not fussed if it's gripshift or thumb shifter though again I may have something in the garage.

First things first though, frame needs stripping down as it's covered in old sticker residue, chips, scrapes and there's a few cable guides I'd like to remove. Obviously halfrauds rattle can job so just need an idea of colours to go with the Indy C's?!

post-24247-0-09439500-1325413190_thumb.j

A pre 04 pair of (preferably Raceline) HS33's would be beautiful on that.

there is a set of these in yellow with all the mounts on pinkbike for £60. heres the link

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/994888/

fork wise, old school pace or old school bomber z1 bams

Edited by danchandler

Were given to me so I can't complain really!

didn't mean anything by it, just a heads up as they can give some ineresting handling traits! :)

you can get canti style pads on ebay that use the soft compounds, might be worth a look?

there is a set of these in yellow with all the mounts on pinkbike for £60. heres the link

http://www.pinkbike....buysell/994888/

fork wise, old school pace or old school bomber z1 bams

I is skint, signed up to the retrobike forum and there's some proper bargains on there but if I get anything it looks like being another set of rockshox, probably Judy SL's.

Don't need pads as well, the brakes are still fitted with some proper old yellow canti Koolstop pads from when I started trials!

Well I've sourced a few parts already though my budget is getting hammered.

Wheels get delivered to me on Sunday, got some Mavic X221 rims on Cannondale Coda expert disc hubs with tyres for £50 which I thought was a good price and gives me the option to go full disc in the future if I get a new frame, also a bonus. Other than that I've blagged a short cage XT rear mech which just needs the jockey wheels replacing and a new bolt and I've rescued my UN52 BB after a good clean up it feels really smooth though could do with a replacement non driveside cup. I'll be bringing the bike into work on Sunday when I start nights to strip the paint and cut off the rear canti cable guide.

Decided I'm gonna go down the powder coating route as it'll be a lot more resiliant (and I'm crap at spraying stuff) so just got to pick a colour. Gonna get it done here, I've used them before and they messed me about but it's too convenient to not use, and might get it done the same colour as my old zenith was (5003).

Any other suggestions than this or orange?? I'm tempted by 9016, 6018, 592, 7000 or the blue below.

post-24247-0-46558700-1325594112_thumb.j

Parts update: Got these wheels delivered to me Sunday for £50, mavic x221 rims on Coda disc hubs

IMG_20120108_130633.jpg

and I've also sorted out another set of forks instead of the dodgy old Indy C's so got these Pace RC36's on the way for £45, now what colour looks good with carbon??

2fd75bc7.jpg

Edited by isitafox

• 1 month later...

Gonna be running v's for the time being but yeah if I get a new frame with disc mounts formula do compatible rotors. Looking like being full 99 XT drivetrain with m600 V brake arms and a Race Face crankset, just need to decide on what to do about pedals.

Edited by isitafox