Backwards Without Pedaling?

Conradm94

You ever used one? I reckon most modern BMX street freecoasters and that KHE would be well up to it. Reckon the slack would be more of an issue.

Ultimately you'd have to determine the suitability based on your style.

Do you know how free coasters work? Even a high quality freecoaster would not take trials-forces for very long because of the method of engagement.

Yeah, which bit is gonna break then?

Everyone bangs on about trials forces and everything having to be really strong and trials specific. Rubbish. Back when I started riding there wasn't all these trials specific hubs and freewheels. I ran a standard Shimano LX hub for about two years without breaking it, then a standard XTR, a Hope Bulb and then a DMR revolver with a shimano silent freewheel that's still going strong on my missus town bike and believe me I've never been gentle with any of em. Not trying to push a freecoaster as a good hub for trials but if you want to do roll backs n your not so fussed on the takeup Issue I reckon you'd be hard pushed to break one of those KHE Geishas.

Everyone bangs on about trials forces and everything having to be really strong and trials specific. Rubbish. Back when I started riding there wasn't all these trials specific hubs and freewheels. I ran a standard Shimano LX hub for about two years without breaking it, then a standard XTR, a Hope Bulb and then a DMR revolver with a shimano silent freewheel that's still going strong on my missus town bike and believe me I've never been gentle with any of em.

We all remember when there wasn't trials specific stuff, and I for one remember almost dying on a number of occasions. With regards to you not being gentle on stuff that maybe so, but were you putting much pressure through them? I'm gonna guess by your current Rocket you arn't exactly a TGS rider who does power move after power move.

Back when I had a Hope XC I had to send it back to Hope for a repair and borrowed my brothers Deore on D512 rear wheel. I killed the freehub within 2 hours of putting it on my bike. This is going back 10 years or so, so I wasn't exactly going massive.

Since then I've killed 3 trials specific hubs and a couple that wern't (Kings). If you ride trials to a modern standard, yes stuff DOES have to be strong or you WILL end up with no teeth.

Ha ha, yeah, the Rocket doesn't see much in the way of TGS but back in the day I used to be all about the big gaps.

Like I already said, ultimately, you'd have to make the decision based on your style of riding and if you're a straight up TGS rider your biggest problem is going to be the take-up anyway but I reckon modern freecoasters are a fair bit stronger than you're all giving them credit for.

Edited by Chris Borneo

No they're really not. The engagment works totally differently, they hardly last with a BMX, the thing they're designed for, I doubt with tougher forces on it it'll stand up to much...

However I shall be happy to be pointed towards a freecoaster that could remain unbroken under any riding condition...

Everyone bangs on about trials forces and everything having to be really strong and trials specific. Rubbish. Back when I started riding there wasn't all these trials specific hubs and freewheels. I ran a standard Shimano LX hub for about two years without breaking it, then a standard XTR, a Hope Bulb and then a DMR revolver with a shimano silent freewheel that's still going strong on my missus town bike and believe me I've never been gentle with any of em. Not trying to push a freecoaster as a good hub for trials but if you want to do roll backs n your not so fussed on the takeup Issue I reckon you'd be hard pushed to break one of those KHE Geishas.

First of all they are all pawl based systems, a freecoaster is not.

If I had to guess I would say that you would go through about 1 outside bearing a week and perhaps even break the hub shell on the clutch side, unless you gave up with pedal kicking all together.