Tensioners!

peterjordan86

Hey, wondering if anyone can help me, either with a product or bodge job!

My chain on my zoot is painfully annoying to set up. I have chain tugs on the bike, which set the chain to a nice tension all the way round the cranks.

However after a day or two the chain loosens up when I have my right foot forwards (which is the way I ride) and not when I put left foot forward. Surely the wheel cant be moving forwards because I have the chain tugs?

Is there a sprung tensioner for horizontal dropouts or a way to modify one?

Thankyou in advance for any responses!

Pete.

A friend of mine had this problem with his tugs, the force exerted while kicking was bending the end seat, forcing the nut through the hole and also pulling the threads from the main washer, it might be worth converting to cams or getting beefed up tugs, horizontal dropouts aren't usually used with tensioners but you might fond an 74 kingz tensioner or spoke tensioner that would attach to the axle.

he can't he doesn't have a hanger... you don't get perfect tension, when you spin your cranks the chain will bob up and down, cause the drivetrain isn't perfect, you need to spin the cranks, find the tightest point and then adjust the tension around this point. the tugs on the zoot are aweful, i ruined mine in a week, you need to go to an old bikeshop in the hopes that they sell some big gnarly chain tugs, cause aluminium ones just never seem to cut it :(

When I was dual disc and shit at getting the wheel perfectly centered I'd slam the wheel in the dropouts with a spoke tentioner

The length of the stays/my gearing makes it impossible to get the chain length right when its slammed in, even with a half link chain.

Spoke tensioner seems to be a majority fix, is there a tutorial anywhere?

you need to spin the cranks, find the tightest point and then adjust the tension around this point.

This is exactly what I do. Just changes when I ride it for a day.

I've got some old tugs on my bmx, Ill give those a go.

Thanks everyone.

IMG_0258.jpg

Did this with my rohloff so I could run 18/16 on my control frame without the wheel hanging out the drop out. Worked an absolute treat, needed to change to some longer bolts and space a few things out to get the chain line correct but worked ace and never moved.

Something like this COULD be done with a rear mech if you remove the bolt and set it up correctly.

Edited by planet x alan

• 4 weeks later...