Carbon Fibre Wrap

Hi im about to purchace a koxx xp2 frame with a cracked chain stay from a dent ..my question is ..do you think the best way to repair it would to try get it welded or just wrap it in carbon fibre or both .. saw someone at my last comp do it to a downtube on an echo think its steve rodgers? when the frame is repaired it will only see light use as m girlfriend would be using it ...any ideas would help out alot

post-23814-0-18301400-1333303031_thumb.j

post-23814-0-03325000-1333303079_thumb.j

Has the frame cracked due to the dent or is it on a joint?

If it's on a joint and over an inch long, get it welded, then wrap it. If it's not on a joint/no longer than an inch, just wrap it.

If you look here-

My link

Thats everything you need (minus heat shrink tape, available from the same place).

If you need any help with it let me know (Y).

I did it with steves because welding wouldn't last much longer than a week, and due to it's position, we had to remove any movement around the gusset, hence a rigid repair :).

Cheers,

Josh.

Edited by Rob Leech

The crack isnt on a join bu it is about an inch long think i could just get away with just the carbon wrap ? thankyou for your reply

With the right prep work, yes.

You have to make sure the area your wrapping is completely free of any paint/dirt/grease before starting and keep it that way the whole way through.

Also, when you apply the first layer of resin (you apply one layer on it's own to allow the carbon to bond to the section as well as its self, and it will make it easier for you to wrap the carbon around the tube without it falling off), make sure you put a good amount in and around the crack, it's pretty strong stuff (Y).

You could drill each end, it should prevent the crack from spreading, then wrap it in carbon.

You could do this, but in my experience, theres no point. If the crack wants to continue, all your doing by drilling it is allowing it to travel in a diferent direction, or most of the time, several :).

Cheers,

Josh.

• Like 1

My friend has successfully fixed frames with carbon before, even ones that broke during a riding holiday. It's a great way of fixing stuff on the fly.

His latest successfully fix was an Echo in which the bottom tube broke in half. As far as I know, the frame is working. He also fixed a separating head tube on a DOB frame and used that for many months. So as long as you know what you're doing, fixing frames with CF is a good way out, if the crack is on a tube it's often better than welding.

• 2 months later...

why don't you just weld it, when i saw this post i thought you were on about carbon fibre vinyl wrap lol. but carbon fibre wrap will be even stronger than steel anyway so either way it doesn'tey matter

Edited by billybong

Has the frame cracked due to the dent or is it on a joint?

If it's on a joint and over an inch long, get it welded, then wrap it. If it's not on a joint/no longer than an inch, just wrap it.

If you look here-

My link

Thats everything you need (minus heat shrink tape, available from the same place).

If you need any help with it let me know (Y).

I did it with steves because welding wouldn't last much longer than a week, and due to it's position, we had to remove any movement around the gusset, hence a rigid repair :).

Cheers,

Josh.

Is this how steve Rodgers did his? I cracked mine in same place as him and it looked a really tidy job

Edited by moose

Is this how steve Rodgers did his? I cracked mine in same place as him and it looked a really tidy job

Heya chap,

yeah, this is how steves was done, have a look here for a few more carbon repairs i've done > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003873520642&sk=photos

If your looking for the same type of repair to be done, get in touch, sure we can sort it out :).

Cheers,

Josh.