New Forks With Suspension.

How Original

People must be getting sick of me making topics by now but oh well :lol: I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can find older frame specifications?

Looking at getting some new forks for my 2008 Commencal, but need to know what the right size are, and can't seem to find a spec list for the 2008 model, only 2011-2012 :ermm:

Just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong sized ones as money for parts is tight, can't afford to waste £50+ :lol:

Edited by How Original

As long as u get the correct steeretube diameter and lengh u should be set thats the most important and depending on ur syle of riding i would run no more than a 180mm fork assuming its a full sus if u only xc /a all mountain probly 140-160 mm would be more thwn sufficant

As long as u get the correct steeretube diameter and lengh u should be set thats the most important and depending on ur syle of riding i would run no more than a 180mm fork assuming its a full sus if u only xc /a all mountain probly 140-160 mm would be more thwn sufficant

It's a 2008 Commencal Absolut Cromo, more of a jump bike than a full suspension mountain bike lol... I quite like the rigid feel but wouldn't mind a bit more give, as the back end is obviously rock hard, wouldn't mind it a bit comfier up front.

I just don't want to have to take my forks and everything out to measure them to put them back in again :lol: prefer to try getting an online spec of it then I can go from there.

If it's a hard tail jump bike then you'll want something around 80mm - 100mm travel. If you're going to be using the bike for jumps then you'll ideally want a fork suited to that - and without knowing a budget it's not really worth making suggestions as there's lots out there at a pretty wide scope of prices.

If it's a hard tail jump bike then you'll want something around 80mm - 100mm travel. If you're going to be using the bike for jumps then you'll ideally want a fork suited to that - and without knowing a budget it's not really worth making suggestions as there's lots out there at a pretty wide scope of prices.

Hoping around £50 would be enough for a reasonable pair?

Don't want to be spending crap loads, but don't want them knackering after one outing from being crap.

I also don't do particularly massive jumps either, so not like they're going to get absolutely hammered.

£50 on suspension forks...... come on. Even second hand the best you'll hope for at the money is a knackered old pair of shitters. I mean second hand trials forks go for about £30-£40 and they're often less than £100 new. If that's all you've got to spare just pick up a good set of second hand rigid forks. A decent pair of rig ids will be a lot more beneficial then some ill equipped suspension forks that'll just ruin the ride and feel of your bike.

£50 on suspension forks...... come on. Even second hand the best you'll hope for at the money is a knackered old pair of shitters. I mean second hand trials forks go for about £30-£40 and they're often less than £100 new. If that's all you've got to spare just pick up a good set of second hand rigid forks. A decent pair of rig ids will be a lot more beneficial then some ill equipped suspension forks that'll just ruin the ride and feel of your bike.

I've no idea what they go for, also I have no problem in buying second hand long as they're in good condition.

What would you suggest for a decent fork budget?

Also I have a decent set of rigids, but I fancied a change and see how it feels to have suspension.

I've no idea what they go for, also I have no problem in buying second hand long as they're in good condition.

What would you suggest for a decent fork budget?

Also I have a decent set of rigids, but I fancied a change and see how it feels to have suspension.

Yeah i'm not excluding second hand purchases. I've bought many bike related stuff second hand (although I wouldn't do it again) and of all the things I've bought my old 04 pair of Marzocchi Dirt Jumpers have been fantastic. They've never needed any work and run great, but even 4 or 5 years ago when I bought them they were a couple of hundred quid.

Marzocchi do a few dirt jump forks, as do Rockshox, (I'm excluding Fox for obvious reasons) but you want to get a fairly well looked after set that will hold up and won't need taking apart/servicing/repairing every 5 minutes which can be tricky to do when buying second hand. Just buy from a reliable source, or through a friend etc and get the best you can for your money.\

A quick 5 minute scan through ebay shows you the sort of guide prices forks go for. Look at the older before 2010 Marzocchi dirt jumpers, the RockShox Argyle range but I reckon you're looking at at least £170 upwards second hand for anything worthwhile.

Yeah i'm not excluding second hand purchases. I've bought many bike related stuff second hand (although I wouldn't do it again) and of all the things I've bought my old 04 pair of Marzocchi Dirt Jumpers have been fantastic. They've never needed any work and run great, but even 4 or 5 years ago when I bought them they were a couple of hundred quid.

Marzocchi do a few dirt jump forks, as do Rockshox, (I'm excluding Fox for obvious reasons) but you want to get a fairly well looked after set that will hold up and won't need taking apart/servicing/repairing every 5 minutes which can be tricky to do when buying second hand. Just buy from a reliable source, or through a friend etc and get the best you can for your money.\

A quick 5 minute scan through ebay shows you the sort of guide prices forks go for. Look at the older before 2010 Marzocchi dirt jumpers, the RockShox Argyle range but I reckon you're looking at at least £170 upwards second hand for anything worthwhile.

Fair play then, I had a quick look on eBay but wasn't really sure what names to look for etc... So couldn't really calculate prices.

I also wouldn't mind an older pair as long as they're half decent.

Anyway cheers for your advice man, I think I'll wait until I can afford some better ones, seems like the best option, appreciate your advice (Y)

I'm afraid I disagree you will get some forks for £50 +postage but you will have to be on ebay loads.

I got my drop offs for £60 so thats close.

I rekon a set of old bombers would do you for now, the pre 2003 ones are best.

I belive Leon has some for sale. I'll ask him.

UNLESS you have a tapered sterer.

I'm afraid I disagree you will get some forks for £50 +postage but you will have to be on ebay loads.

I got my drop offs for £60 so thats close.

I rekon a set of old bombers would do you for now, the pre 2003 ones are best.

I belive Leon has some for sale. I'll ask him.

UNLESS you have a tapered sterer.

Not sure if it is or not, how do I check?

Sounds a bit daft but never been asked that before :lol:

Look for a set of 2006 Marzocchi DJ forks. 2007- onwards are poo though.

Have to make sure they fit, been told good things about the older models of Marzocchi's.

Put a pic up of your head tube

These are just what I already have, broke a prong on my camera charger so waiting for another, if these are no good I'll take new ones when it arrives...

IMG_0235-1.jpg

IMG_0234-1.jpg

IMG_4600-1.jpg