Source Of Greasy Rims?

omgnoseat

This might be a silly question, but what are possible sources of greasy rims?

My grind is completely useless after 2 days because it becomes greasy. When I wipe my rim the tissue has large black spots on it.

I'm running water and am not noticing any pressure loss. So a leak seems unlikely, and wouldn't cause any damage anyway since I run water.

The opposite side of the chain is also greasy, so it can't be the chain.

I'm running rockman blues which should hold a grind pretty well, but maybe that's what's stuck on the rim?

I haven't been running any tar in over a year aswell.

Any ideas?

How long are you waiting after cleaning the rim before you ride it? If the pads are dirty and the rim is still wet after you have cleaned it, dirt will rub off of the pads onto the rim, negating the point of cleaning it :) Try using something like coca-cola instead of water as I find it has more cleaning power than water, but also goes sticky after a while, meaning you can get some monster braking power :)

Please, please tell me that you didn't mean those first 2 lines to be so hilarious!

I'll come back and help when I've stopped laughing at your greasy, black spotted rim :D

It is a silly question like I mentioned. But it feels like I'm just not seeing something here. While it might be a stupid little problem, it completely ruins my days riding because I have no rear brake to rely on.

How long are you waiting after cleaning the rim before you ride it? If the pads are dirty and the rim is still wet after you have cleaned it, dirt will rub off of the pads onto the rim, negating the point of cleaning it :) Try using something like coca-cola instead of water as I find it has more cleaning power than water, but also goes sticky after a while, meaning you can get some monster braking power :)

That's a pretty good point, but I do let my rim dry before I go out for a ride. I use coke on occasions haha, mostly because of that damn grease that messes up the brake's hold :(