Bike On A Budget

Mattar177

Hi,

I'm relatively new to trials biking although I've wanted to start for quite a long time. I've practised basic techniques on my mountain bike but am now looking to get a trials bike. I have a budget of around £400 and would greatly appreciate any suggestions for a bike to buy.

Thanks

Matt

Do bear in mind that you can get a really decent full build on the Buy/Sell section of the forums for £400.

Trials bikes depreciate in value really quickly, so you'd be paying £400 for something worth possibly £1000 brand new.

Pretty bike. Looks like it's worth £400, too.

I'd see if you can haggle to £380 or get free postage, but that's just my Northern roots flaring up. ;)

Also, if you decide not to buy it, then you shouldn't get bogged down in looking for certain geometries on a first bike either.

http://www.trials-fo...tom-zoo-python/

Is this a good deal? I a real newbie when it comes to trials bikes:)

I'm not an expert myself as I haven't ridden for a loooooong time. But I know enough to know that you're getting a lot more for your money there. Magura's over cheap V's will make a big difference straight away. The one thing the guy mentioned was it didn't have a disc mount on the frame - something to be aware of.

Another advantage for going for something like that is when you come to resell you might get £350 or something for it, maybe the same price you paid if you're lucky. If you go for a new onza then you'll probably struggle to make half your money back if you come to sell it.

That said, there might well be 'problems' with second hand bikes which they've failed to mention, so you have to trust the seller, and if you don't then you might be better off going for a new bike.

That didn't help, did it? :P

As judgement on whether you can trust a seller or not, if they've been around for a couple of hundred posts then they will have feedback on their profile. Some people also leave text as to how the seller treated them, etc.

If you open my profile page, you'll see on the right-hand side that my feedback is 2 positive (and under it says neutral). But it doesn't mean that someone hasn't gone bad, it's just an indication as to whether they are legit or not.

Only time I've ever used or even seen Vees on a trials bike was on my Onza T-Vee, and they weren't great. But it all depends on the pads you run

Never heard of them cracking frames, though.

I run a vee on my 24, and it's like riding into a brick wall when you pull the lever in, such is the bite and power. and it always holds, never lets go. and feels well solid

Edited by danchandler

have a look on gumtree aswell thats where i got my bike from and its great and it only cost me £140

you dont want to spend to much and then find out that your s*** on a trials bike

what about this?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/onza-pro-trials-bike-double-disk-worth-600/104776407

and then you still have £100 to buy so safety gear :wink2:

• 3 weeks later...

this is excellent value, just buy some performance vee pads for the rear and you'll have a very solid frame with decent enough gear on it... second hand is always good if you can get a second opinion from an experienced rider...

always look for:

ISIS bottom bracket

high EP freewheel (or good freehub, profile or a king)

sealed rear hub

oversize bars

as these will be the first things you buy if you don't have them already...