Sloped Stem With Trialtech Forks

STEVE-0

Many of the top end 20" stems have sloping tops. Awkward if you have trialtech forks with the screw in top nut. Have anyone overcome this issue. I noticed Jack Carthy was using a pair at the worlds. So I assume he has smashed down a star nut.

Anyone tried an angled spacer? That would be my preference I think...

Cheers,

Steve-o x

I did some cutting of the TT topcap (chop the top "mushroom" bit off, put nut in the base, screw the whole lot in to the forks) which allowed me to put a nut in the bottom and the sloping topcap screws in as normal. Credit to Tarty Adam for the design.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Small or Medium star nuts fit fine in them. On my Trialtech forks I used to run them with a star nut and a normal top cap, but a sloping one would be fine too. Also used a star nut in my Inspired forks (same steerer tube setup) and it was fine too. If you need to go back to using the threaded section again for your top cap you can just run a tap through it to clean up the threads if required.

I kept switching from one to the other and kinda ragged a star nut out once, but I run my headsets over-tight all the time. In the end I ran a setup similar to Nick's, then Adam made me some pimpin' threaded insert that meant I just tightened the preload bolt directly into an insert that was threaded to fit in the steerer. All that said - star nuts do work fine if you run your headset like a normal person, rather than like a 'tard like me.

Naw mines been perfect over about 3 years now. Been through 2 sets of forks and a stem or 2, still the same thing. Infact I now run a King topcap 'cos it matches my headset ( :kiss:) and my Try-all stem with sloping topcap snapped.

So yeah, perfect and never come loose or anything.

I did some cutting of the TT topcap (chop the top "mushroom" bit off, put nut in the base, screw the whole lot in to the forks) which allowed me to put a nut in the bottom and the sloping topcap screws in as normal. Credit to Tarty Adam for the design.

Can you show a picture please? I don't understand completely

181177_10151818756310581_1520420701_n.jpg

Ok, apologies for the giant picture. You wouldn't believe how complicated it is to take a picture on your phone, upload it to the internet then link it on here for a retard like me.

Anyway, there it is. Nut is at the base, slots in perfectly. Gold bolt screws into that. The whole lot screws into the forks like it would do if you hadn't attacked it with a saw.

Shame I can't see the nut because that's the part I don't get. Sorry :$

Sorry, I can't be f**ked taking another picture haha.

Basically it will make it easier if you have a TT topcap infront of you. For some reason a standard nut (m4? can't remember) fits perfectly in the bottom of it because there is a small ridge which stops the nut pulling up through the topcap. I didn't take a pic because it fits so well in the bottom and is so full of shit it merges into the topcap and you can't see what goes on anyway.

If you follow the gold bolt down to the base, thats where the nut is. A small ridge on the inside of the cap makes sure the nut doesn't just pull up the inside of the cap when you tighten it.