Sorn For Car And Motorbikes.

Dave Sutton

I have a sorn notice on my motorbike as i didnt have it insured, The Tax disc is still in date and i have now been insured. The DVLA isnt open right now but if i ride my bike if its still sorn but Taxed MOT'd and insured is it an offence? What are the chances of being caught?

If its still taxed it should be ok? Normally if its SORN, you give the tax disc back (if its not run out). Therefore, the only reason you would SORN it is so you didn't have to insure it, however, now you've insured it, theoretically its not SORN'd now?

...thats how I understand it anyway, although by no means do I know!

A vehicle has to be insured at all times, unless it is declared SORN with the tax disc returned to DVLA and no break between the license expiring and the SORN notice being issued.

IE, you need to pay an £80 fine and there is no way around it because you broke the law. If a vehicle is taxed then it is licensed to be on the road, if it is on the road it needs to be insured.

Its insured and has a tax disc still in date, so im guessing its taxed

If it isn't insured and is taxed though (which is was) you will have incurred a fine because DVLA will automatically declare the vehicle as SORN (if they haven't picked it up you can get away with it, but you got a notice then they have) so you need to check online as to wether the license is due on the vehicle.

Click this link - https://www.taxdisc....?execution=e1s1

Input the details it asks, and if it will say three status's - "expired" "due to expire" "license not due"

Depending on what it says online, depends on wether your tax is valid and if you can drive the vehicle/bike. If the license is not due or due to expire then it is fine to drive, if it is listed as expired then DVLA have sorn'd your bike and you need to return and re-apply for the tax disc.

The chances of you getting caught if the license is expired are immeasurable, but you'd be a stupid willy if you did do it because you would also be uninsured. You COULD face losing your license if you had an accident, and you would face a fine and points if you were lucky and got caught.

Edited by Pashley26

Its licence not due, Deffo sorned it though :S

No, it isn't sorn'd if it says license not due online.

You are lucky by the looks of it and have just got a single payment fine for having an uninsured vehicle, was ts £80 or £120 for you?

I still wouldn't ride it until I had phoned DVLA though, systems take up to 60 hours to update and it's all quite shit with them.

Edited by Pashley26

I'm sure it will also say 'Licence not due' when it is SORN'ed. You shouldn't be due a fine.

I'm pretty sure your bike in NOT taxed.

The DVLA will have cancelled your tax disc when you declared it off the road.

The process of getting a car back on the road after a SORN is:

MOT (if it needs it) - It seems you bike's MOT is still in date

Insurance - You seem to have insured your bike

Tax Disc - head to the local DVLA centre with V5C, Insurance documents and driver's licence and buy a tax disc - job jobbed.

Edited by AndrewEH1

To those who were wondering (probably nobody) Its sorted now, Ended up being naughty and going for a little spin but sorted it out this morning just had to phone up dvla and tell them its insured, didnt have to pay tax as i already had the disc and it was in date.