Cutting Mod Tyres

Lewis Gething

So I have ordered a Monty Eagle Claw today, and I know that this is a good tyre, however I have seen many riders such as Dani Comas and James Davies cut every other side tread off. My question is what are the benefits in doing this?

My dad is totally unconvinced that this is a good idea, and I have tried to tell him that even Monty have realised it improves the tyre's performance by removing every other side block as seen with their top-end Eagle Claw Pro tyre. He says that if I do this, he will refuse to order me any more tyres (even though I pay for them :( )

Thanks

Ahh okay thanks! So is there no gain in grip? I would imagine that cutting off every other block would help the tyre bite into rocks better? I totally agree with you on the aesthetics part, they look so cool :D I am currently riding with a 1 and a half year old Try-All sticky which is totally slick :P When the top tread was totally worn, I decided to follow what a bunch of the folks on TF said, which was to remove all of the side tread, by doing this I saved 150g - thats just the side tread! So with that in mind I should be able to shred nearly 100ish grams :)

Was thinking of doing this with my maxxis holy roller, not purely to save weight. But mainly thinking about how it affects grip, I'm thinking of cutting every other side knobble off, and the big flat knobles in the middle...

I'd suggest keeping the tyre as it is for a while (considering it is brand new) to see how you get on with it, and if the grip isn't bad then don't bother.

To fully slick a tyre, I used an angle grinder with a sanding pad. To remove every other outside tread, a wet stanley blade.

And you wont gain any noticable grip Id say, but you certainly wont loose any.

Would i get a good finish with just a Stanley knife? Abit of sandpaper and file?

• 2 weeks later...

well i ordered a ne maxxis which is actually a softer compound than any other tyre on the market for a comp i had which was going to be muddy, i was advised to cut the tread of on the sections that had 5 nobbles in a sequence of leave the outside, cut the next, leave, cut and leave, this would allow a better spaced tread to shed mud more, improve abit of grip, i did this a i must say it worked a treat! i had the cleanest tyre of the whole day hardly clogged atall, and it grips amazingly! definate recommend

ive done this to a few tyres.. i normall cut off the smallest nobbles on the sides of the tyre. yeah it does save a bit of weight but nothing worth mentioning.

as for grip.. on slanted/smooth stuff i dont think it would make much difference. but im convinced that on brick walls with sharp edges, the bigger gap between the nobbles lets the corner of the wall into it and it hold on there better. Ill probably do it to every tyre i buy, even if it is only a psychological affect.. its an affect non the less and if it helps you ride better... you got nowt to lose but a bit of time and rubber.

for cutting it off.... its a pain in the arse. i just have a sharp hunting knife or a stanley, then instead of doing a sawing action.. just push the blade square into the knobble untill it goes all the way through.. its the safer and tidier way of doing it. takes bout 30mins - an hour.