Close Topic

D Rock 45

Ok so am sure you are all sick of these theads popping up and the common reply is "just get better" "build some muscle up" etc etc.

But having weight saved on two onza's in the past and them being as simple as cut the bash mounts, disc mount of also rawing the frame saving quite a bit of weight. Got my last bike to near enough 8kg last time.

I have already cut the disc mount of and filed the small tab of the bottom of the frame that the bash plate bolts to (left the small square plate on). Will be rawing my frame as soon as i can, also cut the bashring in half i have got on.

What else can i do with a limey? The frame is compleatly different to the onza blade and pro.

If there are any other part's that can have some simple weight saving of them that would be great.

Any constructive tip's would be great, please don't clutter the thead up with daft idea's.

Thanks

Dieter

Sorry for the waste of thread, will only be rawing my frame. All the cutting could just cost me a new frame as said in a post.

Facepalm

Edited by D Rock 45

shaving weight from a frame could be an expensive f**k-up, going from an 07 pure to an 09 control (like 300g lighter i think) and i havnt noticed any difference. wheels would be a good place to start loads of weight can be lost there, think its more where you save the weight from that matters. saving half a kilo from a pair of wheels will feel a lot lighter than shaving a few grams off your frame

Pump you're tyres with helium, sure you could buy some on amazon or google shopping

wazzup saaalg

Edited by trials hoe

Draught-excluder-001.jpg

Oh, you said daft. Sorry, my bad.

I couldn't resist, so just so that I don't feel like I'm being a complete dick, maybe a hole in the bottom of the BB?

made me laugh.

ive read on hear of people doing that, can you get a picture up of one ?

Expand on the headtube cut out, expand on the drilled rims cut outs, widen the top and bottom tube holes from inside the frame?

could all be possible i will just have to get some tough dremel bits and if i have a steady hand to carry it out. Cutting out the extra bit of in side the frame sounds tricky to.

shaving weight from a frame could be an expensive f**k-up, going from an 07 pure to an 09 control (like 300g lighter i think) and i havnt noticed any difference. wheels would be a good place to start loads of weight can be lost there, think its more where you save the weight from that matters. saving half a kilo from a pair of wheels will feel a lot lighter than shaving a few grams off your frame

wazzup saaalg

It could be, so i won't be going over the top. Can't afford a new frame to save weight or if i mess it up. As for parts every think is light except the frame, bars, forks, stem.

Best way to save weight is starting with the bb,

Try getting a ti bb, or something similar,

Also, if your had double walled rims change to single, if you have a disc hub and use rim brakes, get non disc hubs,

Also get some light cranks (but not those stupid ones with holes drilled in them, cause you will end in hospital)

try getting light weight tyres and tubes too.

and change all your bolts to Ti, and get the echo sl pedals with Ti spindles.

But, bikes can also feel lighter if you set them up right, if your brakes rub slightly this caused the bike to feel heavy and lazy,

Also try some trialtech highrise bars, i got a set and my bike rides totally different and feels lighter because the front end is easyer to pull up.

Also i tryed my bars like Carthy's, and the bike just sat really nice on the back wheel.

Have you tried tyre pressure? I realise this sounds stupid but; I put about 5 psi more in and the bike was TOTALLY different, I could gap further, hop better and higher, and just generally a more improved feel, deffinatly think that changing the setup works better first! Or this is old news...

I cut every other side noble off my front tyre and saved 90g might not sound like much but that's the difference between an onza and a reset bottom bracket.

It takes a while, but if your board and want something to do just use a Stanley knife.

Can't say I'v noticed any difference in my riding from it though.

Edited by rocky111

alot of weight can be saved in tyres and tubes.

before i even cared about weight i ran a kenda blue goove on the front and rear. weighing in at 1.3kgs each, a DH tube in the rear (700g) and a heavy duty tube in the front (400g)

my tubes nd tyres alone were over 3.5 kgs. then i got a big betty, kenda small block 8, lightweight tube and a welterweight and now the whole set up must only weight about 2 kgs.

considering you said your heavy components are the frame, forks, bars and stem..

theres not alot you can do to stem, bars or forks, and the weight you can save off a frame is not even worth doing to be honest. so you might aswell try save up and buy better front end parts.

all helpfull replies

Have you tried tyre pressure? I realise this sounds stupid but; I put about 5 psi more in and the bike was TOTALLY different, I could gap further, hop better and higher, and just generally a more improved feel, deffinatly think that changing the setup works better first! Or this is old news...

I have and it does work well, changes the response of the bike quite alot.

I cut every other side noble off my front tyre and saved 90g might not sound like much but that's the difference between an onza and a reset bottom bracket.

It takes a while, but if your board and want something to do just use a Stanley knife.

Can't say I'v noticed any difference in my riding from it though.

Ive done this before, think i will do it again all add's up

Pretty sure the Limey frame is only 1.4kg anyway?

yeah needs to be lighter XD

Edited by D Rock 45