New Model Hs33

trialsiain

I've been riding 15 years, I grew up with the 98-04 model, they were great, solid, stiff, weak tpa but on the whole there wasn't much wrong.

Never liked the 05, was a step back in most areas for me.

I bought a mint barely used 2011 brake for my 24", it has a solid frame/booster set up that was absolutely rigid with my 04 brake, as soon as I put the new one on it was spongy as shit, I had the short 2 finger blade so don't let anyone tell you the "more leverage" crap, the body is made of Maguras own "high tech material" (plastic) and flexes a lot, I also found that lever pull seemed to give less pad travel than the older brake.

I hated it to the point where it was making me ride worse.

I was just massively disappointed & sold it that week & went back to a 12 year old brake, much better.

I'd put them on a mountain bike if I had to, but never on a trials bike again.

Then again some people love them.

Edited by LEON

oh, i have the 05 magura just now... is it normal that if i set pads like 0.5mm away from rim and have tpa fully to minus that the lever has a loose part and then starts to move pads (the lever sort of rattles around) then to solve this i have to screw the tpa to + and then it makes one pad go out and one go in so it then catches on rim. ?

oh, i have the 05 magura just now... is it normal that if i set pads like 0.5mm away from rim and have tpa fully to minus that the lever has a loose part and then starts to move pads (the lever sort of rattles around) then to solve this i have to screw the tpa to + and then it makes one pad go out and one go in so it then catches on rim. ?

needs the piston serviced.

but yeah there's loads of threads like this already, use the search.

Not 100% what you mean, but why put them 0.5mm away?

If the adjuster's fully loosened then yeah a little bit of wobble is normal, filling your brake to the brim will help that.

cause otherwise it will pull right to bar

needs the piston serviced.

but yeah there's loads of threads like this already, use the search.

how do i do that ?

I've been riding 15 years, I grew up with the 98-04 model, they were great, solid, stiff, weak tpa but on the whole there wasn't much wrong.

Never liked the 05, was a step back in most areas for me.

I bought a mint barely used 2011 brake for my 24", it has a solid frame/booster set up that was absolutely rigid with my 04 brake, as soon as I put the new one on it was spongy as shit, I had the short 2 finger blade so don't let anyone tell you the "more leverage" crap, the body is made of Maguras own "high tech material" (plastic) and flexes a lot, I also found that lever pull seemed to give less pad travel than the older brake.

I hated it to the point where it was making me ride worse.

I was just massively disappointed & sold it that week & went back to a 12 year old brake, much better.

I'd put them on a mountain bike if I had to, but never on a trials bike again.

Then again some people love them.

Have you measured the flex of the lever ? I have (4 finger blade), and it is insignificant compared to the flex caused by frame flex. You can easily see that lever is "spongy" while the body doesn't move (or just a little bit).

I read lots of reviews of guys saying that it is - or not - better than 2005 hs33, more spongy, ... , so I tried something :

rear brake : 2011 HS33 2 finger lever blade (coolant liquid bleed)

front brake : 2005 Hs33 4 finger lever blade (coolant liquid bleed)

(because their leverage ratio a pretty much the same, so about the same power for the same force in your finger)

result : pretty much the same feeling, same "bite point".

I think the only negative things is that they leak easily because the piston "crashes" the body.

im currently using them on my 24/7 and they have been holding perfectly, the only problem came when i was bleeding them, they are a bitch to bleed and can get very messy -.-

They are easier to bleed than old magura ... You don't do it right I think.

(I personnaly like both 2005 and 2011 HS33 - 4 or 2 fingers - they all have advantages/disadvantages)

I didn't measure anything., but I know a crappy brake when I feel it. Rather than do lots of experiments and find reasons to justify why the brake felt so spongy, I just went back to a nice brake.

I like firm solid brakes, and after feeling a lot of these new ones on many different bikes, none of them felt as solid as mine. Regardless of frame/booster.

2011 with 2 finger lever blade ... (and a good bleed, I don't know why but magura's bleeds give a bad feeling).

I agree that 4 fingers blades are too spongy, but they also give you a good brake, even if your grind is worn and pads almost dead

I've been using the HS11 (pretty much the same thing) as my front brake for about a year now. It's ok but it feels much less responsive than my older HS33, lever is pretty spongy, it's a pig to bleed and after 1 year of running Phluid it's developed lazy pistons and all together it feels awful. Meanwhile, the HS33 is going strong into it's 3rd year.

So on balance it's nothing more than adequate.

edit: To be honest, for the first time ever the Echo brake seems to be a better solution than the Maggie, especially as leaks have been pretty much sorted out this year.

Edited by Greetings

HS11 has 4 finger blade. Compare comparable things. And pistons are the same as old ones.

I have never tried Echo brakes/levers, so I can't compare.

And what have have you all with new system of bleed ? You just turn the lever so it points up, and put a syringe in the bleed port ! It's the only difference.

Edited by Maxx