Cutting Off 4 Bolt Mounts?

trials hoe

right, so i have just aquired some oldskool disc and 4 bolt (stock, front mount) urbans for my 24. ill be running a disc on the front, so the mounts are redundant and they look shit just there on the forks unused. so my questions are -

has anyone had any issues after doing so?

and, will i gain any strength advantage/disadvantage removing them? (seen forks crack above the mounts but i don't know if that is down to a maggie setup being used)

also any info on methods used would be nice, i plan on hacksawing them off and filing down 'till they are smooth.

cheers in advance guys :)

Edited by trials hoe

cheers guys exacly what i wanted to hear!

i wouldn't have considered a grider, its a tad overkill for the job and i prefer hand tools.

i was hoping that removing them would help with stress distribution along the leg, rather than it 'gathering' at the mounts. hope that makes sence it does to me anyway haha

it will remove the stress point the top of the mounts make, so it should make them stronger

Just a thought, but if the mounts have been welded on and he cuts them off to file them down it wont make much difference strength wise as they have been welded on before hand and the the metal its self has been heated up and made brittle. So what i'm really trying to say is will it make much difference in strength because there were already mounts there removing them will only make them look better but it should not actually effect the strength of the fork because the metal is already weak?

I know in what i have just said above it pretty much repeats its self but i found it had to translate across what i am thinking :P

yeah i know that but i have heard that the disc forks do not crack were the mounts would be on the 4-bolt models so it leads me to think that it has something to do with the welds them selves actually on the mounts when its been welded creating a weak point in the forks.

No it's like Ali suggested. The forks have a slight flex to them which absorbs the shocks and prevents snappage, when the forks have 4 bolt mounts welded on it's like they have a 2" brace making that area stiffer than the rest of the fork so whilst the rest flexes the point where the mounts are cannot. This in turn causes them to crack at the next point where there can be some movement which is above the mounts.

I know what I mean!

• Like 2