Crack Help!

Gaz96

So been working a year with 2 jobs while At school to save up to build my dream machine.

post-26653-0-56955900-1355425872_thumb.j

But after riding it 3 times I found a crack, fair to say I was absolutely gutted. Second hand frame not much I can do but was hoping there would be a solution, it's on the seat tube, so was hoping if I took it right off and kept everything neat then it would then spread any further.

post-26653-0-68256500-1355426141_thumb.j

post-26653-0-79280900-1355426207_thumb.j

Tried to show it as past as possible from my phone and dark conservatory. So was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this? I cannot afford a new frame, was thinking if I took the crack right round and file it all clean would there be a way of clamping the seat post in and making it still rideable? Wouldn't mind even if the most was in a fixed position, just really want to be able toride it as I was planning on racing all the SDA's next year. Any suggestions appreciated.

drill small holes at each end of the crack and have someone weld the crack, then run a seat post which goes a long way into the frame.

this crack is common if someone uses a frame that is too small for them.

i think a repair should be ok

jaf bikes do frame repairs and will advise you better

Edited by dezmtber

Cut it of where it is cracked and just hope you can still fit a clamp on. Don't bother drilling holes either side as that gives the crack and opportunity to spread in another direction as the area is already stressed and a hole is only temporary. If you don't mind spending the money you could contact Josh at Jaf bikes to get it carbon wrapped.

Jaf bikes would be the best option as he is technically eliminating the HAZ caused by the heat from welding. By using carbon fiber around the weld he is effectively diverting the stress that would usually go through the weld into the carbon which has a natural spring and flex. This is in theory eliminating the problem of rewelds as the softer alloy wont have any stress going through it so it wont crack again.

Hi Gaz,

just sent you over an e-mail with an idea so you can sort it out, have a gander and let me know what you think (Y).

For a repair like this, you'd be looking at £30 plus return postage :).

Just pop me an e-mail if you'd like it doing chap.

Cheers,

Josh Leech,

Jaf Bikes.

I had exactly this crack on a Commencal Meta frame. What I did:

Drill out the ends of the crack

Cut my current seatpost down flush with the top of the frame, cut a slot in the back of it to allow the tube to be pinched with the QR

Put a bolt through the bottom of the seat tube, through the seat post and out the other side to hold it in place.

I used another seatpost whose outer diameter matches the inner diameter of the cut-down original seat post

You could put some extra weld over the crack if you like, I didn't bother

Frame is still intact having been ridden for 18 months after this fix.

I don't know if you need to bother with changing your seat height on a DH bike though. If you're not bothered, I'd just fix the post in place with two big bolts through the seatpost / seat tube (between top tube and BB).