Snowboarding Gear tips and recommendations.

Al_Fel

Hello wonder people of trials forum with your vast array of knowledge!

I'm looking at going snowboarding in the next couple of weeks and I want to buy some decent clobber. I'm sure there are snowboarders on here that will know what to get and what to avoid. As you can imagine I'm a total noob when it comes to snowboarding and I haven't got a clue what brands, shops or stuff I need! I'm looking for the Tartybikes of snowboarding gear.

Any info and tips on what I need and where to get it from would be great.

I'm not looking for cheap crap, I intend on getting into snowboarding and getting good quality stuff that will keep me warm and dry.

Thanks peeps!

I am faaaaar away for professional, I was skiing for 7 years and tried snowboarding for 1 year (FUN!) but if I remember well I was getting a Freestyle snowboard (what shape look like \______/ so the frond and the end is curving up) and it was good. For clothing get into a good shop and ask for ski/snowboard jacket, trouser and gloves. Probably they can provide a wide range of that. I had underwear ( dont know the proper word sorry) with me for skiing, because it coulb be really cold too, what are a skin tight shirt and trouser what keep you warmer, but you should wear it only around minus 10 C., because it will be hot. Protection: helmet and arm armor. I nearly broke my hands on the second day on ice, i would advise you that.

As I told you, I am far away from amateur at snowboarding, so if anyone have different idea at snowboard gear, let him know please

• Like 1

I've always got most of my snowboarding stuff from a retail outlet thingy,

http://www.mcarthurglen.com/uk/cheshire-oaks-designer-outlet/en/plan-your-visit/getting-here/

I'd recommend:

a jacket from helly hansen/oneill/billabong/vans/tog24

trousers from the same places

base layer from helly hansen (a lifa one)

socks from helly hansen

gloves from somewhere - don't skimp on these, cold hands all day is shitty.

goggles from either one of those shops or the internet, they cost a flippin fortune in the resorts - as do gloves.

helmet you can rent or go without (although that is not a cool thing to do nowadays)

Reckon you could pick the lot up for £200 in that mc arthur glen place, otherwise you might be looking at £200 for a jacket alone in a normal shop.

For a beginner I'd also recommend an arse protector/impact shorts - strongly recommend in fact, unless you have a particularly large arse. For my first week I was always falling, my tail bone was hurting to the point where I was dreading doing too fast and falling on it again.

EDIT: also consider getting a jacket with little sock bits that go over your hands, if you can. it stops snow going up your sleeves when you fall over. Sounds stupid but even a little bit of snow could be enough to break a man who is attempting to learn :D the oneill jackets normally have them.

• Like 1

When I used to snowboard I'd take my tgs superlight helmet with a hunter hat underneath (perfect combination!).

I have goggles which I got from some ski shop in England, make sure you get ones that actually protect your eyes from the sun as it can be very bright, I think I found the green lens ones the best.

Gloves... Make sure you don't go cheap on these, get proper snowboard gloves with straps that keep it tight at the wrist, and another one at the end of the glove to stop snow coming in. You want gloves that are waterproof, warm, and can move your hand enough to grip onto say a thin pole. Gloves shouldn't be more than 20 quid, 30 quid maybe. But I'm sure you could get a good pair for 15.

Boots, I've got my own pair. Treat them like normal shoes, make sure they're comfortable and don't rub in any certain areas. You will be wearing thick socks too so make sure you wear thick socks when trying boots out! Mine are done up with a lace but I've seen quite a few now that do up like the ski boots, just go to a store and choose ones you like.

I can't offer you much advice on a board, except I think the rule is, if you hold it upright and it's lower than your chin, it's too small. Freestyle boards are the best to use unless you want to go fast and you only want to go one way forward then get one of those speed board things (not recommended for beginners). Boards will usually cost no less than 100, if you want a decent one then you should be looking at 200 at least (brand new). This doesn't include the bindings usually, so make make sure you get some bindings that you like, most are compatible with all boots and boards but double check to be sure.

Uhh trousers, I'd recommend ones that have 2 layers, a thick waterproof layer on top and a warm fabric layer underneath that has stretchy bits at the bottom to stop snow/wind going in. I'd put the stretchy bit at the very bottom of my leg and I never had snow come in my boot ever. Make sure you get straps that go over the shoulders too, it's a world of help haha.

As for the coat I just used any old coat I had, just make sure you have at least a waterproof layer then feel free to wear whatever you want underneath. My coat had a pocket pouch like kangaroos do which helped so much it's unreal haha.

Hope that helped :D

• Like 1

Thanks boys! I've just been to TKmax and got this jacket and these pantaloons for £40 each! The gloves are just Head ones from Costco I've had for ages. They seem pretty good though.

post-3558-0-20814500-1358083606_thumb.jp

The jacket is a Billabong with 5000 mm water proof and 3000 whatever breathable.

Pants are Tresspass and they are 5000 each way I think. I'm quite happy with this stuff so hopefully it will be alright!

Next on the list is boots. I tried a pair of 11's on and my toes hit the ends. I've heard that the boots stretch and shrink though? What size should I got for? I'm size 11 usually. But these DC boots were far too small!

• Like 1

I forgot to mention I've been snowboarding on a dry slope in Runcorn once! I'm going again at 2:30. I know the dry stuff isn't anything like snow but hopefully I can get the basics down. I wasn't too bad and could get down the slope doing the "falling leaf" I felt confident for a first go like. Any tips for using the front edge of the board would be nice!

Dry slopes are SO different to real snow for snowboarding, it's different for skiing but snowboarding is completely different. Just focus on being able to stand up, turn both ways, stop. At first you probably criscross your way down a slope (/\/\/\/\/\/\) but when you get more confident and can carve, it takes more balls on snowboards because skiis your standing directly forward.

When I used to carve I would lean like this:

DSC_0098-M.jpg

Basically lean forward slightly, make sure YOUR KNEES ARE BENT. You don't want locked legs, I find that putting my hand towards the snow where I'd have a chance of falling if the board loops out improved my confidence.

I did use wrist protectors which I highly recommend and I bought myself a back protector which I don't recommend unless you're doing jumps because when I did jumps (I did a jump and landed on my back with only about 1-2m air and f**k me it does hurt) it helps improve confidence loads.

Yeah snowboarding is basically about being confident, once you know how to carve then the fun comes in! You'll be able to go off-piste a lot easier than skis do, I'd blast down this off piste track coming down the back to my hotel, I only found it cause I fell off the pole-lift (they're really hard for snowboards, make sure you get some practice doing this before hitting real snow!) and found some off piste jumps which I could get enough speed to do but my Dad would just sink in the snow with his skis lol.

Sorry if I'm rambling on, haven't done it for 3 years and I miss it quite a lot :(

Hope you don't mind me being cheeky and uploading a picture from when it snowed in my town a few years ago :D

13061_1299204124572_6120157_n-1.jpg

• Like 1

For boots, they say 'they need to be small', but in my experience that just leads to pain. Your toes I guess should feel like they're up to the end, but not cramped. The main thing is to make sure your heel doesn't lift out of the boot much, again in my experience you'll never find boots that completely hold your heel in solidly, a little bit of heel movement is fine for me.

If you're renting a board then you could get boots too. If you dont like them you can take them back (absolutely don't just think 'feck it, too much hassle, its only 3 more days..' - they only get more painful!) and get different ones. Quite often the rental places have brand new/very new boots for you there.

Boots and trousers look good (Y) I'd be tempted to upgrade your gloves though. I lost my "mid range/regularly wet and cold gloves" and was reluctantly forced to spend 60 euros on some new ones in the resort (cheapest they had) but they're f**king amazing and they give me joy every time I wear them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips boys! I went for the second time on the dry slope today. I had the little go of turning round and facing up the slop and going down backwards on the front edge. I got the feel for "braking" with the front edge so I feel a lot more confident with that now. I just need to learn how to transition from back edge to front edge. (I'm probably using all the wrong terms here haha)

Gloves wise I had a little go with them ones today and there's a slight tear by the thumb so I think I'll be looking for a decent pair of gloves.

Really appreciate all the info so keep it coming! Any idea on goggles?

I've worn sunglasses before with no problems snowboarding, means you don't have to spend ages fiddling if you want to take your helmet off/put it back on.

if not any goggles from TK maxx or something, as long as they fit you then they'll be good :) and anti steaming is probably a good idea.

I've ruined loads of pairs of gloves before as the sharp edges on the board just destroy them, but if you get a decent, extremely tough pair then they should be good :)

The weather for the next few weeks in the Alps is COLD - make sure you're prepared if you're going there. It's gonna be something like -26º C in Meribel (I just got back from there yesterday). Make sure you have plenty of base layers +/- thermal under trousers and you'll probably be OK whatever jacket / trousers you have. But don't skimp on gloves or goggles, that would be my tip. Cold hands or steamed / iced-up goggles can easily ruin a day.

Expect to fall over a lot. I've just been with some beginner who made good use out of wearing knee pads on her first week on snow, might be worth taking some if you have them.

Goggles don't have to be particularly expensive (http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=snowboard+goggles&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9842732434751739062&sa=X&ei=xdHzUOvLB4-YhQeYz4DwBA&ved=0CFEQ8wIwAA) but I'd avoid the sub-£20 Cebé goggles you can sometimes find. If you're getting an all-round goggle then you want the orange tint one (it's the best compromise of bright sunlight vs flat light performance). Sunglasses are not the one for snowboarding, not only do they not stay on / make you get a cold face etc, they'll mark you out as a total noob. Snowboarding is pretty fashion-centric, for better or worse, and you can spot some people a mile off.

Gloves, dunno really. I've got some Level gloves, they're really nice and warm / dry / tough, I'd definitely recommend them. Most people seem to buy mittens these days. TK Maxx usually have some good brands.

• Like 1

IMPACT SHORTS!

I killed my Coccyx on my second trip away and it hurt to sit down/stand up for a good 6 months after, I still occasionally have problems after over 2 years! For my last 2 trips I have used the Demon Flex Force impact shorts and they have been an arse saver! You will spend a lot of time sat down at the side of the slopes and on cold lifts, they help keep you warmer and they will save you when you lose an edge on ice or f**k up on a box in the snow park like I did this year haha!

Helmet is a must, I learnt on my first trip that hitting your head is not fun. Your goggles will also stay clearer when used with a helmet and you won't lose them in a crash and end up with useless goggles that are full of snow.

Goggles are also important, especially in bad weather or when riding powder and having it fly up in your face, I just use Oakley O-Frame MX goggles with a dual layer persimmon lens and have experienced no serious problems. They fogged up frequently when wearing a beanie but since getting a helmet they have been fine. I can just change to a clear lens and use the goggles for DH in the summer so the frames are multi use.

I just got back from a week away and agree with Tomm that it is getting COLD over in the Alps. -11 with even colder wind chill was not much fun although the powder on the last couple of days made me forget how cold it was getting :D

On the booties front I've got my eye on these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321055342483?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

And these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230911940208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

Anyone know if either are any good? I assume the Vans will be alright because they are Vans. But my logic is Landrover make off road vehicles that are good and off road bikes that are bad. So just because a company does one thing good doesn't mean they do the other good too!

Boots are all about fit - If they don't fit right then it can really screw up your day. Personally I'd never even consider buying boots off eBay. Both those are decent brands but if they don't fit it makes no difference.

I'm 28 so I'm an old man. Bum pads knee pads and helmet sounds good.

Wrist too! You will be putting your hands out more than you think when you bail and snowboards either throw you forward if the front edge of the board is caught while you're carving using the back edge and vice versa. When I didn't use wrist protection I had tired wrists, but when I used them I noticed a difference. Especially on hard snow.

Ok so its all booked to go on the 26th! I'm going to Les Deux Alps.

I'm going to go mad and buy my own board. I've been looking at this package http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/FTwo_AIR_FLITE_2_Snowboard_Package_162cm_W_XL_BB_Wheel-(55153) . Remember I'm only a beginner. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this?

• Like 1

I'm surprised that you can get a setup for such a small amount of money, but it looks decent enough. Don't forget to budget for boots though. A lot of people say if you a budget of, say, £400 for boots/board/bindings, then you should budget at least half that for your boots. I wish I'd taken that advice when I bought stuff first time round to be honest.

Of course you can hire boards in resort, but whilst ski hire is pretty decent the French don't seem to care about renting decent snowboards. You'll end up with a 4-5 year old board, scratched and unwaxed with no pop left. If you can buy for less than £250, I say do it. You should be able to get a lot of that back via eBay if you decide you don't like it.

Have a read up on reverse camber snowboards (try here: http://www.eternalsnow.com/snowboard-camber-comparison.html). Some people say that reverse camber boards are easier to learn on, other people say they teach you bad habits. Certainly they're more forgiving and you're less likely to catch edges. On that site, one of the other deals (only slightly more expensive) is a reverse camber board. http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Flow_MERC_FREESTYLE_Snowboard_Package_156cm_L_BB_Sack-(55097) - Might be worth considering.

As for bindings, the Flow 'step in' bindings on the deal you linked to are possibly not the right choice. The back folds up to hold the boot in rather than doing up the straps. This is easier / quicker but they're less responsive and a real problem when they fill up with snow. A lot of people use them for snowdomes when you're in/out all the time but for real mountains I wouldn't bother. The Burton FS bindings that come with the deal I linked to should be decent enough.

If you're size 12 you'll probably need a wide board.

• Like 1

I was looking at these for boots. http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Northwave_FREEDOM_Snowboard_Boots_UK_12_M305_Orange_2012-(40949) You get 10% off when you buy boots board and bindings. I'll go for the strap in bindings rather than the step in ones.

I'm usually a size 11 in shoes but the 11 snowboard boots I've tried on have been too small. Granted that's only 2 pairs so far but I'm willing to take the risk of 12's being right for me. I've got wide flat feel (like flippers) My idea is the main support comes round the ankle area so if I've got a bit of toe room its not the end of the world.

Another board that caught my eye is this one.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230844902366?var=530074991164&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm quite limited to what's recommended because I'm fat and I've got big feet. I'm 5'11" 95kg and size 11 feet.

I think I like the look of the eBay one more. But it would be nice to have a bag with the board.

Thanks to you, I've been looking at snowboard holidays for the last few days. I'm hopefully booking one for me and my dad in a place called Andorra, we're paying halves its around 500 each. Is this any good? Sorry for the thread hijack.