Looking for an Mtb frame suitable for trials.

TrialsRob

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an mtb frame suitable to be used for a mixture of trials/general usage. The setup I'm looking to create is that which I see under norco riders a lot.

p4pb7539468.jpg

Does anyone have any frames to recommend? Or more importantly can anyone tell me the geometry I should look for? I imagine I need a frame with a real short rear end, headangle could be fairly average but sharpened by running the forks 20mm less optimum height. I am though stumped by top tube length, do I want long or short?

Rob

I wouldn't run a shorter fork on a mtb frame just to steepen the headangle to make it more suitable to trials. Your'e not really trying to achieve handling qualities in terms of steering in motion. If you drop the fork length you drop the b.b height which is of more importance to you as a trials rider.

I'd say look for an old Planet X Zebdi or something that has steepish h.a already and not too much of a high b.b. Maybe even my personal favourite.. a pashley mhz? Theyre not too bad with a short suspension fork on either. But don't run your'e bar/stem set up too high if you do.. ( Like mr.Norco up there ^)

Heres an example with a 80mm fork..

I'd run something like this with a 100< x0/5' With a low/mid riser..

Inspired Hex is a lovely riding frameset! That handles well in motion aswell as for static moves. A longer fork (like a short suspension fork) on that might throw it all out abit too much though if thats what your intentions are? Might get away with an 80mm fork for all round use? ( I may get slaughterd here..) Again, keep the bar/stem down.

I think a sidekick is abit too heavy to bother with.

I'd get a marino or one of these Jaf customs made up for yourself. Theres not much catering for old school in trials.

That norco looks pretty long! Looks abit like those (later) saracen M.A.D things

Best of luck with it!

Edited by sharn

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/f7/planet-x-zebdi-750-obo-46328/

Olds-coooool! Look for these older style trials frames.. won't behave too bad with a 80mm forks up front and won't drisrupt head angle /b.b too much.

Somethng like these should make a nice 'all-rounder'. By no means will it be considered 'good for trials' by the vast majority though so be sure it's what youre after!

Thanks guys for getting back to me with many ideas, it seems there is a lot more to consider than I had first thought of so I will explain a bit more about what I'm after and what I want to do. At the moment I have an onza zoot which I am thoroughly enjoying playing.

Aswell as what is best described as a hardtail freeride bike, a fairly long, very stable bike that is most at home riding off/down sketchy constructions in the woods. Its an old school huck bike and good one too in that it is very forgiving. Unfortunately I am getting too old and wise to use it like this, and as it is it needs atleast a new frame/forks to be re purposed to anything else other than a very heavy xc bike.

Back to the present, though I am just learning trials I am seeing plenty of lines that would be a lot of fun, yet a bit sketchy on my zoot (Often things involving stair sets), so I'm considering re purposing my current mtb into something trialsy enough to preform the basics and allow me to access some new lines without taxing my limited skill base too much, and still being capable of the odd slow trip to the woods.

The inspired hex, and custom builds seem like good matches but a bit on the pricey side for me. I am expecting the best match I will find will be a street/freeride orientated frame that will not feel too out of place with a 90mm stem. As for fork length, I will probably seek out a mid weight rockshox fork with u-turn and play around with fork heights to get a good compromise before looking for a more solid/reliable fork, I have found some frames are exceedingly good fun with shorter than intended forks, but also many others that aren't. I am weary of the old school frames recommended on account of metal fatigue, though they do look like great matches for me.

What I might well do is look up the geometries of the frames mentioned and seek out something modern that is similar, though ultimately my experience in trials is effectively zero so I don't really know how a frame should feel riding it and will rely on your opinions to make sure I don't end up with something too unsuitable.

As an owner of an STP I wouldn't recommend it for trials really unless you have a lot of control / trials ability feels to slugish for my liking when riding trials type objects and manoeuvres on it. They are fun for a bit of play on the street and they handle everything thrown at them but I find they mostly come to life on fast steep single track. They make everything feel more fun then doing the same run a full sus.

Edited by mr_malcolm

Get a zebdi! :wink: Check out that build i posted for you.. Awsome do-it-all machine.

Lower forks than what is supposed to be on a frame can be fun for motion riding, but you'll hate it for static trials moves.

Seriously, My experience prompts me to reccomend a zebdi with a short travel suspension fork! Wouldn't worry too much about metal fatigue, although it is aluminium, so it WILL die.

If you want steel maybe check a pashley/Old norco (very rare)