what to get to begin with

justjack

If you come from a bmx background I would highly recomend you something like an 24" inspired as it will allow you to perform trial move while still having the opportunity to do more bmx oriented tricks. Personnaly i would take a 24" over a 26" as it wont feel to big comming from a 20" bmx...

Edited by nicolasp1405

It all depends on what you want to ride.

If you're wanting to go straight into trials and drop all of your BMX riding, Then get a 20" (You'd probably find a short one better, if you see one you like just make a topic and everyone here will advise you from there)
If you're wanting to keep the BMX style of riding then go for a 24" street bike.
I wouldn't recommend you even look a 26" bikes XD

As far as "what to buy"
I started on an onza rip, which I regret given I never had much money to buy a new bike when it was no longer suitable for me, meaning I was stuck with it.

I'd advise you to go second hand, I buy almost everything second hand, you get way more for your money!
Don't be attracted by the low prices of 20" Onza bikes.. often they tend to be poop unless you upgrade the crap out of them.

so yeah, Take a look on here, for something, or Pinkbike. Ebay and gumtree are ok but bike thieves tend to go to them so I normally stay away (I have bought bikes off them in the past though, and you can find genuine sales which are a bargain so take a look anyway).

Hope I've helped.

I think you need to get out and try some different bikes to get a feel for what suits.

A lot of your decision will be driven by the type of riding you want to do.

As Danny says, if you want something intermediate go 24", that way if you go street style you can get an Inspired or similar to do the spins and bunny hops on.

If you want to try TGS then 20" / 26" are more suitable but will take more time to practise and learn on. Don't be put off by 26" being big and long, if you want to ride a bike like that and put in the time you will learn.

I started on a mod and it was great for basics, but as my riding progressed I felt it too small and limited. I moved to stock, got riding with a bunch of lads who helped me with technique and it felt much better and my gaps etc became a lot bigger.

I'd advise you to go second hand, I buy almost everything second hand, you get way more for your money!

Don't be attracted by the low prices of 20" Onza bikes.. often they tend to be poop unless you upgrade the crap out of them.

Hi Danny,

I'm interested in what you mentioned about your experiences of Onza bikes. What would you class as the low priced ones? I'm looking at upgrading to an Onza Bird but I'm also willing to buy second hand - although this can be a bit of a mind field.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Danny,

I'm interested in what you mentioned about your experiences of Onza bikes. What would you class as the low priced ones? I'm looking at upgrading to an Onza Bird but I'm also willing to buy second hand - although this can be a bit of a mind field.

Cheers

Pete

I would advise you to buy second hand.

I've been out of the 20" scene for a while now, but I always remembered the bird being a heavy piece of kit.

The onza frames I have nothing against, It's the steel forks bars and stem which I don't agree with (heavy front end)..

A terrible frame with good components will always feel better than a good frame with terrible components.

They are the "budget" bikes of the trials world (imo)

The frames can last, but the rest wont. You could spend the money on a second hand bike that outshines the "cheaper" range of onza bikes in both ridability and quality.

you can learn on anything really. all modern trials bikes are much of a muchness geometry wise, except the streety 24" Danny Mac-esque

wheel size is not a massive factor unless you are a hobbit or giant. i was 12 years old an like 5.2ft riding a stock when i first started, progression was quick despite many people saying i should have gotten a 20". it is all down to commitment and man hours on the bike.

the 24" style bikes might suit you better as they take inspiration from bmx, but i have generally found you will be better off learning traditional trials first and when you get bored of that make the switch to 24" to spice things up abit

but as previously said, head to a local ride and try a few, see what you get on with. look at the riders as well, imagine how you would like to ride.

Edited by Ash-Kennard