Brake Noise

weegav

Is it something like this:

If it is then its contaminated.

I got some great advice in this thread:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/180629-front-disk-thinks-its-a-rim-brake/#entry2493309

The sound is similar but a lot harsher. I will try boiling the pads and see if it improves. Thanks

Edited by weegav

Surely if you boil the pads the oil goes to the surface, so how do you get the pads out without re-contaminating?

Pour the water out before you take out the pads or when you take them out boil them again

Edited by weegav

I just held some bb7 pads over a flame once, you can smell the oil burning out of it & see the smoke, once it stops smoking it should be done. Those pads came back pretty good from being useless.

I've tried boiling in water before too but it never worked.

• Like 1

I just held some bb7 pads over a flame once, you can smell the oil burning out of it & see the smoke, once it stops smoking it should be done. Those pads came back pretty good from being useless.

I've tried boiling in water before too but it never worked.

Might sound stupid but what kind of flame?

I just used the gas hob, held the pad in a pair of pliers & watched them bubble & go black, will take longer than you'd think.

Once they seem done just dip them in a bowl of cold water, then dry & sand off any rough bits that might have bubbled up & clean any excess off.

You've got nothing to lose, if that doesn't work then boiling them in water definitely won't.

Clean the rotor properly too.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1