rear freewheel help

crinks85

I have just recently bought an onza cleaner to get back into it, after a 7-8 year break! Only changing a couple of bits until I think a better bike is needed.

I've put hydro disc on front, New bars and stem bought, with a plan for lighter forks sometime soon.

Ok the main reason for the post, I find the standard onza wheel sturdy enough for what it is but the freewheel engagement is crap. Be lucky if it has 21 clicks in a full rotation!

What do people recommend, stick it out? Can I simply change freewheel? Or is it a new hub?

Didn't want to go for whole wheel due to costs. Although 2nd hand is always an option.

All opinions welcome, thanks if you managed to read down this far!

cheers.

Not really dude, pro2's usually go quite quick on here, I'd get a fixed rear wheel with a screw on sprocket, and change to front freewheel. It'd be cheaper than buying a pro2 and then a new wheel build. Get a wheel, some cranks and a freewheel and you are sorted

normally i would agree, but if he wanted to he could upgrade his cranks(and poss. BB might not be isis, can't remember) so that he doesn't have 22tooth MTB cranks anymore and his hub and his EP problem as well as significantly shedding weight(not just 10g, but a lot) and make his bike way better in one fell swoop.

remember the stock bike looks like this

To the OP;

If you have changed the bar and stem for something more like it and put another front brake on you will have made such a difference already, best carry on that way ;).

You have 3 options as I see it, however you buy them is up to you. (to re-iterate) :

1. Pro2/king (id go with this in hope form)

2. Rear freewheel (mabye this) and screw on hub of your choice

or pull the entire drive apart

3. Cranks(BB too mabye), Bashring, Screw on hub and Front FW. - makes the biggest difference but costs the most.

Hope this essay helps you fella.

Edited by CC12345678910

Thanks for the replays everyone, I can see it going towards the change of hub route as its probably the cheapest. I would say the frame and some parts on the bike doesn't wararant a large some of money to change the drive train around as its only an entry level bike. After the basics have been changed I wouldnt go any further as i would ne better buying a more compatant bike.

Plus I don't think my skill level needs the best stuff just yet. More reliable and solid. Only done 1 trial so far the bikes showing a few battle scares!

If you are after a decent strong free hub, there is this, its perfect for a beginner

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/888530/

Or this

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1324603/

The second choice will allow you to run a freewheel on the rear, if you so desire

I found this as well

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1308790/

Just a few ideas dude

Edited by bing

If you are after a decent strong free hub, there is this, its perfect for a beginner

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/888530/

Or this

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1324603/

The second choice will allow you to run a freewheel on the rear, if you so desire

I found this as well

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1308790/

Just a few ideas dude

Not many engagements on the XC hubs, which is what he wants to change the hub for.

Wouldn't run a mtb hub either, as it's just gunna either feel shit or explode sooner and have to be replaced again

would this shimano saint be a good choice for the money? £40, few years old but least its brand new. its has 36 engagments with 3 sets of prawls, is that good? as im not sure on this side of things.

i am going to reuse the rim that i have so only looking for just a hub. leaves sum extra cash for a new front rim brake! struggled with my disc on sunday, brake faded for some reason and its fine for air etc.

would this shimano saint be a good choice for the money? £40, few years old but least its brand new. its has 36 engagments with 3 sets of prawls, is that good? as im not sure on this side of things.

i am going to reuse the rim that i have so only looking for just a hub. leaves sum extra cash for a new front rim brake! struggled with my disc on sunday, brake faded for some reason and its fine for air etc.

No shimano hub is suitable for trials.

No shimano hub is suitable for trials.

It'd be a damn sight more solid and reliable than what he has now. As for hubs, not really, industry9 are pretty strong, but they cost a goddam fortune

It'll be more reliable than the one you have now. I'd hold out for a hope though if you can. This is the DMR hub I mentioned before, this would be bang on for what you need. And its only 30 quid. And it can be easily converted to ffw if you want to in the future

Edited by bing

It'd be a damn sight more solid and reliable than what he has now. As for hubs, not really, industry9 are pretty strong, but they cost a goddam fortune

That could be true, it doesn´t make it right though ;) I you really, really cannot afford used pro 2, go for it, for that amount of money you won´t get anything better.

Just received the dmr hub and it looks spot on for the money, the freewheel on the back needs changing as it has the same amount if engagements as the one I have on now! What would people go for, again trying not to spend loads.