Confidence Tips

Hey all,

So i feel like im making steady enough progress,not as quick as some others it seems, but starting to get the basics pretty down, and starting to get to grips with backhops and working on rockwalk drops etc, But when it comes to getting up stuff, im struggling big time!

i think its mostly down to confidence, and actually believing i can put the power through with the control needed.Also worry i'll right off my bike if i mess up! Ive watched alot of tutorial vids on up to fronts and stuff and im getting the front wheel up, but bottling it when it comes to lifting the back and fully committing.

so i was wondering had anyone got any advice on how to build confidence, or any tips on things to practice to build my hopping power?or is it just a case of saying f*#k it and going for it?

Also anyone got anymore tips on things like up to fronts or other ways of getting up objects?

I appreciate any help!

Bernard

Hop on the front wheel on the spot, practise that until you can do it in a relatively controlled manner. It's really helping me learn/commit to front.

good idea yeah, i've been sorta working on front wheel control, by putting up on like a 3ft wall, and shifting my weight and trying to bring the back wheel level,and holding it?

But definitely trying that tomorrow!

I have a little saying, 'Shy kids don't get sweets.' Basically if you shy away / bottle out of things, you don't get rewarded as you would if you put 100% into things.

Try and just overcome your fear by starting off really small and then building up to the bigger things. Also take it steady, some people progress quicker than others don't blame yourself and get annoyed because you'll get annoyed with the sport and rage quit like a fag on fifa!

• Like 2

I have a little saying, 'Shy kids don't get sweets.' Basically if you shy away / bottle out of things, you don't get rewarded as you would if you put 100% into things.

Try and just overcome your fear by starting off really small and then building up to the bigger things. Also take it steady, some people progress quicker than others don't blame yourself and get annoyed because you'll get annoyed with the sport and rage quit like a fag on fifa!

HAHAHA that has to go as my signature thing me thinks!

yeah i've never had trouble comitting in other disciplines, but thinking about that, i broke many a bone going too big too soon!

I found myself progressing loads when I applied what's in my signature. If you can manage one scary thing or one thing that is past your comfort zone every ride you will get better in no time at all.

Thats a great motto to ride to man, i think whats slowing my progress somewhat is the fear of damaging my arm again! i broke it very severely a few years back and was told that was the end of physical sports for me... but i cant stay off bikes you no?

Thats a great motto to ride to man, i think whats slowing my progress somewhat is the fear of damaging my arm again! i broke it very severely a few years back and was told that was the end of physical sports for me... but i cant stay off bikes you no?

I broke my ankle, shin bone and growth plate in my leg so badly my foot pointed the wrong way and needed it screwing, the Dr told me i can't play football any more or run on it, and said i need to really careful with it because it will never be back to full strength.

10 weeks after getting my cast off i took up trials and touch wood i have never had any problems with my leg other than the odd ache and pain.

Edited by BradJohnson
  • Like 1

I broke my ankle, shin bone and growth plate in my leg so badly my foot pointed the wrong way and needed it screwing, the Dr told me i can't play football any more or run on it, and said i need to really careful with it because it will never be back to full strength.

10 weeks after getting my cast off i took up trials and touch wood i have never had any problems with my leg other than the odd ache and pain.

my good god,thats ballsy!.... yeah i get pretty bad pains in my arm and wrist too, i just need to start thinking less about what ifs and be more aggressive.

Actually got a new camera today, might take it out tomorrow and see if the camera makes me a bit braver?

So i feel like im making steady enough progress,not as quick as some others it seems,

If you came to this conclusion from comparing your progress to the "my first month/week/day of trials riding" videos here on Trials Forum, don't worry:

These guys really have been on their bikes for years and try to troll with this. They never post follow-up videos as a proof that they are really on the road

to reach UCI international level within a year.

On topic:

For me, confidence also comes to a big part from making smooth, rounded, bigger movements with your body - try to avoid stiff small hops, be like the cat instead.

Additionally, if you are fit enough for this, you should try to ride 5x a week, which really helps loosing shakiness and getting to precision moves.

For the first few weeks, your riding will often be worse than it would be with 3x a week, but after that time, you will improve beyond the 3x per week scheme learning curve.

But don't forget to pause for a week or two after many weeks of continuous riding, which will give you a big boost as well.

But don't forget to pause for a week or two after many weeks of continuous riding, which will give you a big boost as well.

I rode 8 days in a row up to last Friday or Thursday, had a break from then until last night and the night before just riding in the front of my house and I felt way more balanced than the week before, short breaks after a solid week of riding really does make a difference.

If you came to this conclusion from comparing your progress to the "my first month/week/day of trials riding" videos here on Trials Forum, don't worry:

These guys really have been on their bikes for years and try to troll with this. They never post follow-up videos as a proof that they are really on the road

to reach UCI international level within a year.

On topic:

For me, confidence also comes to a big part from making smooth, rounded, bigger movements with your body - try to avoid stiff small hops, be like the cat instead.

Additionally, if you are fit enough for this, you should try to ride 5x a week, which really helps loosing shakiness and getting to precision moves.

For the first few weeks, your riding will often be worse than it would be with 3x a week, but after that time, you will improve beyond the 3x per week scheme learning curve.

This, i have to say,is very reassuring to hear!! every time i see some guy mounting a picnic table super smoothly, or gapping like a pro after 3 weeks i get fairly worried and disheartened.

Trying to make my movements smooth is something ive been working hard on as well!

Hop on the front wheel on the spot, practise that until you can do it in a relatively controlled manner. It's really helping me learn/commit to front.

How does hopping on the front wheel on the spot help you get up things

How does hopping on the front wheel on the spot help you get up things

It's really helping me learn/commit to front.

You'll be more used to the body position over the front wheel, I didn't say it helps you get up things, I said it helps you learn to commit.

I had a quite bad ankle injury in January this year. Had cruches for a long time, and also had a "recovery time" for a couple of weeks. I actually tried riding during those weeks...haha..

I still struggle with my confidence, but I think that it's getting better and better. I basically try the stuff that scares me a bit. It's hard though.. But I remember that when I started out, I got my confidence quite fast just by trying those kind of stuff that I was affraid off.. :)

Good luck!

I had a quite bad ankle injury in January this year. Had cruches for a long time, and also had a "recovery time" for a couple of weeks. I actually tried riding during those weeks...haha..

I still struggle with my confidence, but I think that it's getting better and better. I basically try the stuff that scares me a bit. It's hard though.. But I remember that when I started out, I got my confidence quite fast just by trying those kind of stuff that I was affraid off.. :)

Good luck!

cheers mate, I think I'll try just grab it by the balls and go for it

i find front wheel hops harder than pedal ups etc. got any practice tips for front wheel hopping i.e. with the back wheel i hopped with the front wheel on a ledge then leaned back.

Pull the brake, lean forward. Use your back/legs to make the bike 'hop', the perfect position is where you fell like you're about to go over the bars but you hop to stop counter it... It's a tricky one to learn, once you get used to them it helps quite a bit, I'm not used to them but when I know I'm about to go over the bars I simply just put my foot down and try again. But at first you'll probably lift the back end up much faster which means it's not as easy as putting the foot down...

Sorry if I'm not making sense, just trying to help.

Yeah pretty much, don't go waaaaaay to big in the beginning though :)

Haha dont worry man, i'll be lucky if i manage a up to front on a footpath!

Pull the brake, lean forward. Use your back/legs to make the bike 'hop', the perfect position is where you fell like you're about to go over the bars but you hop to stop counter it... It's a tricky one to learn, once you get used to them it helps quite a bit, I'm not used to them but when I know I'm about to go over the bars I simply just put my foot down and try again. But at first you'll probably lift the back end up much faster which means it's not as easy as putting the foot down...

Sorry if I'm not making sense, just trying to help.

I get what your saying man, I'll give that a go tomorrow! Went out for a ride there tonight, but started to piss rain almost instantly! TYPICAL!!

I get what your saying man, I'll give that a go tomorrow! Went out for a ride there tonight, but started to piss rain almost instantly! TYPICAL!!

Good good, basically once you're on the front wheel make sure you're far forward enough so the back wheel doesn't drop down straight away. If you're new to it then it may take a bit of time to find the balance point. :)

I rode tonight in the rain :P

Good good, basically once you're on the front wheel make sure you're far forward enough so the back wheel doesn't drop down straight away. If you're new to it then it may take a bit of time to find the balance point. :)

I rode tonight in the rain :P

Grass would be a good idea for practicing this would it?

Haha thats commitment! I stayed out for about 40minutes and just gave up! not pleased with the skitzo weather!

Grass would be a good idea for practicing this would it?

Haha thats commitment! I stayed out for about 40minutes and just gave up! not pleased with the skitzo weather!

Yeah to start off with if it helps make you feel more comfortable practising it, I never bothered practising anything on grass so it's not really a necessity.

I think I only stayed out for about an hour but I was relatively dry under a big oak tree :D there was a path with about a 6 ft gap up to a small wall with grass on the other side, perfect for doing gaps to front but I'm such a pussy with front wheel moves. Which is why I'm doing the hopping on front wheel thing until I can do it perfect, turn around on front wheel by hopping etc. And practising gaps to front between 2 pallets which I don't find too hard to commit with, but I need to increase the height on them to make it more realistic though... No gaps to front in the real world will be 1 pallet in height lol.

Yeah to start off with if it helps make you feel more comfortable practising it, I never bothered practising anything on grass so it's not really a necessity.

I think I only stayed out for about an hour but I was relatively dry under a big oak tree :D there was a path with about a 6 ft gap up to a small wall with grass on the other side, perfect for doing gaps to front but I'm such a pussy with front wheel moves. Which is why I'm doing the hopping on front wheel thing until I can do it perfect, turn around on front wheel by hopping etc. And practising gaps to front between 2 pallets which I don't find too hard to commit with, but I need to increase the height on them to make it more realistic though... No gaps to front in the real world will be 1 pallet in height lol.

Sounds like a nice all weather spot!

Haha yeah thats exactly my issue, i think i might try get my hands on a few pallets and try to build up the height, rather than worrying about walls for the minute!

Haha dont worry man, i'll be lucky if i manage a up to front on a footpath!

You will get the hang of it, trust me! :)

And never really thought about it, but Jake's (JMCD) technique might be a good thing to try out! I might actually give it a go myself.

• Like 1