Climbing Everest for Comic Relief

quick_spider

My brother in-law is climbing Mount Everest in aid of Comic Relief in a bid to put the first Red Nose on the summit. His aim is to get 1 million people to donate a £1 each to raise 1 million pounds for Comic Relief - His campaign website is everestmillion.com.

He's been out in Nepal for around 7 weeks now (in addition to the 2 1/2 years preparation!) and leaves from Everest Base Camp this evening to make the journey to the summit.

You can see videos/pictures of his journey so far and there will be media updates along the final climb including several live broadcasts into the BBC News channel along with updates & videos onto his website/livestream/twitter. I know the media side sounds fairly run of the mill, but there are no internet cafes or free wifi out there! All the content is being beamed by satellite (He's carrying around an extra 10kg in comms gear over other climbers)

Please help him out by following his journey and donating a cheeky pound to Comic Relief (Text "Nose70 £1" to 70070 to text donate or go to everestmillion.com)

/Shameless plugging!

post-984-0-58300000-1368648919_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-00551200-1368648928_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-16353700-1368648908_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-74478900-1368648945_thumb.jpg

post-984-0-18339100-1368648960_thumb.jpg

Can I be nosey? How did all this come about? I think its amazing but don't know how people even start thinking about such an incredible journey. Would love to know the story behind it all and his 2.5 years of training etc. Also always wondered do people who do this use donated money to pay for the actual trip? So if he raises a million and the trip and everythong costs 30k has he really raosed 970k? Sorry, just really interested

His video from today explains the story of how it came about - I've failed to embed it (HTML etc... isn't my strong point!) so here's the link:

Linkage

All the money raised goes to Comic Relief - the costs of the expedition have been met by a mixture of Daniel and his sponsors (HTC, Rab, Inmarsat, Livestream, Jagged Globe among others!)

Can I be nosey? How did all this come about? I think its amazing but don't know how people even start thinking about such an incredible journey. Would love to know the story behind it all and his 2.5 years of training etc. Also always wondered do people who do this use donated money to pay for the actual trip? So if he raises a million and the trip and everythong costs 30k has he really raosed 970k? Sorry, just really interested

Done!

Thanks! Much appreciated - spread the word :)

Sweet!

You can see how much he was struggling for breath, even with oxygen. Really interesting!

He should be back in the UK later in the week - tonight is his last night in a tent!

Whilst he was at base camp he did a Vo2max which was pretty interesting when compared to the one he did in the UK at near enough sea level - http://new.livestream.com/everestmillion/live/videos/17324717