Cataloguing every riding spot.

M-i-t-c-h

Hi All,

So recently I moved to a different part of the country and realised very quickly I knew none of the local riding spots. Concurrently I am planning a little riding holiday with some XC buddies but soon realised that it was harder finding guaranteed great spots that we first thought. I figured this might be a problem for quite a few people so I thought I would (try!) and do something about it.

I've cobbled together a few open source projects to create this:

http://rideable.net/

Essentially the idea is to upload/tag and share your local riding spots, then others can come ride those spots if they are in the area. Similarly if you would like to ride somewhere new you can find good riding spots in new areas. Feel free to sign up, upload your local spots and let me know what you think!

It's built on Wordpress and anyone can sign up (via their Facebook account) then tag their local riding spots, the mapping is provided by Google.

I know there is still a lot to do and I'm sure their will be various bugs that need ironing out, so please bear with me - it's a spare time/Sunday project. If anyone devs that would like to lend a hand please feel free to contribute!

Comments and thoughts very welcome.

I think anything like this NEEDS good mobile support, like a dedicated iPhone/Android app. Nobody is going to get home and spots - likewise, you need to be able to dial in when you're out on a ride and see what's there.

Completely agree, it's totally where I would like the project to go. Load the app, snap a picture and grab the geolocation. An API is in place via wordpress and there are already forks of the Wordpress App so I'm hoping that the project will excite someone else to help build on the foundations and bring app integration (maybe through a framework like appcelerator and HTML5 for the geolocation?? Someone??). I lack the xcode/java skills to complete the work myself unfortunately.

So far, i feel that this is one of the most useable sites;

http://ridden.it/

just takes people to start using it, and obviously the mobile functionality is the most important aspect in the modern day.

There is a mobile version up and running, but the geolocation functionality isnt working, so not sure if anyone can fix that.

Edited by ben_travis