DH to trials

Abu_Baca

I've been riding street and DH for years and always wanted to get into trials but never had the funds for the right bike.

My street bike is 24" so ideally want 24 street trials like Element/Skye or Zoot. I'm alright at street stuff but not had any real practice at trials with a trials bike, apart from a bit of hopping and learning to pedal kick which would be much easier on a proper bike. Is it a good idea to buy cheap MOD to learn the techniques then move to 24"? Or would you say to just go straight for the 24" street trials rig and learn on that?

Thanks in advance

Hello, thank you for your hospitality!

I currently have a Curtis MX24 with argyle 318's for street, great bike but prob twice the weight of any trials rig. Pedal kicking is impossible. Is it me or the bike?

Not been riding much due to broken jaw last year but now ready get into it again, thinking I will get a second hand MOD for around £200 and get into 24" again in a few months.

Thanks, only recently heard of Marino and Jaf and they look like some quality custom frames but way above my current budget.. Always fancied a custom old school trials frame by Curtis. And no point getting custom when I don't really know what geometry is good for me.

Any advice you can give about buying second hand is great.. Most second hand frames have dents is this something to avoid? Is it true that a re-welded frame is as strong as the original?

I am 6ft/183cm would a long or short frame suit me better and what bar/stem dimensions would you recommend?

Yeah a lot will have dents though most are nothing to worry about. The ones to keep an eye on are the ones on the down tube as they pose a risk of the frame snapping though like I said most will be fine. I'd say a long frame would be best but there aren't many long/short variations knocking about at the moment so just see what becomes available and as for the bar/stem combo that'll be down to the geometry of the frame you get.

Finally, frames that have been rewelded are never going to be as strong as the original unless it's a steel frame which most trials frames aren't. JAF can carbon wrap cracked frames for around £50-60 (I think) depending on the location and size of the break which is your best bet.

My advice for a first frame would either be a Zoo or Onza, both can be picked up pretty cheap and Zoo frames in particular tend to be pretty bombproof.

I would also reccomend Deng bikes (Echo, Zoo etc) or even an older Monty if you dont want to spend too much money. I learned to ride trials 10 or so years ago on a monty and they are good bikes (not too suited to street but I certainly enjoyed all riding when I was learnig.)

Iv started again recently with a more modern bike and im not noticing too much difference (maybe because of such a long break) but in general id say get somthing cheaper and older to learn on, atleast if you do break it, you havnt spent a lot.

Or if your like me just impulse buy the bike youv seen and like lol

Hope you have fun anyway :)

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice and sorry for my late response, busy with work and had to put trials bike on hold as i needed to replace xc forks..

Bought a 2010 Onza Pro for £230 today, should have checked price on here but just saw it this morning with 30 mins left and grabbed it!

Good condition, blue/white model, rear hs33 and front disc, think i got a bargain!?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm happy with it. I think everything is standard except the brakes - rear hs33 ('09/'10 i think) and deore disc front. Needed a clean and service but all works fine now. Had to blow out the magura lever piston and rebleed but got it sorted i think. Not much experience with these brakes.

Heres some pictures. I know, too much blue.. thinking some silver bars, stem and fork would look better. Thought about polishing the frame but I don't have the time. Are the standard onza stem and forks steel? if aluminium I'd polish them and save some money. Also might polish the cranks and respray magura calipers.

post-35130-0-03276900-1374077002_thumb.j

post-35130-0-66937300-1374077018_thumb.j

post-35130-0-34957900-1374077039_thumb.j

Thanks fox makes me feel a lot better! I was waiting to get slammed for buying a piece of shit..maybe they are yet to reply.

Noticed today a little movement in the headset, checked it out and there is 1 bearing missing in the lower cup. It's a standard Onza headset, I assume I can get the cage bearings from any bike shop, or even halfords?

Definately too much blue. Stem is alloy so going to polish that and will be a bit easier on the retinas

To be fair, i started out trials on a mod and i've moved to 24 and much happier with it. But i learnt soo much thanks to my mod.

I've always had a 24" street bike, just feels like the perfect blend! Got the mod to learn on too and hopefully i'll ripping it up on 24" trials this year

I've always had a 24" street bike, just feels like the perfect blend! Got the mod to learn on too and hopefully i'll ripping it up on 24" trials this year

I currently own all three mention bike types :D a mod ( awesome for pure and comp trials and practice.) Street and park bike for obvious stuff & bmx track and an inspired ^_^

Still having problems with headset. One bearing is missing from the lower cup and the crown race is a little loose on the steerer. I think its the loose crown race as the movement is most noticeable at the bottom of the headtube.

Does anyone have a picture of what the crown race on these onza forks should look like, or a diagram of this headset as I can't find it anywhere! I have a feeling a part could be missing, or crown race is loose because its not the proper one or even the steerer is worn..I don't think one missing bearing causes so much play.. Ah b0llocks

I've seen that site but shame its the only one and not much detail. Why are most manufacturers' websites always so poor?!

I need money to survive this month so hoping don't have to buy anything else! I work in London, all my stuff is at home and I know there are a few spare headsets there, even the fsa pig that I'm thinking of buying from tarty now..

However, I noticed the top cap has some wear on the underside which can only come from the steerer being too long but this is pretty much as standard from the factory so is it possible it has always been a bit loose?

Sorry for all questions, if I had all my spares and toolbox I'd probably have it sorted by now

Thanks for the help I got it fixed now, just needed an extra spacer.

I read on this forum somewhere that it is a known problem with Onza's stem spacers that compress a bit over time, enough to push on the top cap and prevent the headset compressing properly.. FYI

Started polishing the stem and forks, wish I didn't but have to finish now! I'll post pics when finished if anyone's interested.