BB Question

bike_dummie

Hi,

Just brought a new BB and cranks and being in a rush i have tightened the cranks onto the BB axle without one of the steel rings on the axle. The crank isn't all the way up but i have no way to get it off and i don't want to use the a hammer as that is never good for your bike :P

Would it be okay to tighten it up all the way or would that damage my cranks splines?

large_firstis.jpg

Dont listen to isitafox! if u ride it loose u will damage your splines on the crank arm then u will have a knackered crank and it will come loose every ride! Nip it to your local bike shop and im sure they will be happy to help or ask if any of your mate have a tool to get it off! Again dont ride it loose!!!!

Dont listen to isitafox! if u ride it loose u will damage your splines on the crank arm then u will have a knackered crank and it will come loose every ride! Nip it to your local bike shop and im sure they will be happy to help or ask if any of your mate have a tool to get it off! Again dont ride it loose!!!!

He isnt saying ride it loose.

He's saying that when installing cranks, they take time to 'bed in'. So when you innitally tighten them, they are tight, but after some riding they wear into the splines and loosen off. At this point you should beable to remove the crank without using any crank puller tools.

He isnt saying ride it loose.

He's saying that when installing cranks, they take time to 'bed in'. So when you innitally tighten them, they are tight, but after some riding they wear into the splines and loosen off. At this point you should beable to remove the crank without using any crank puller tools.

iv never had a pair of cranks that i have been able to get them off without a tool even after a few rides? if u can do that then your either over or under torquing them. the crank and bottom braket are designed in a way that when torqued up right (usually 40-50 newton metres) they in effect stick (bond) to each other hense needing a puller to take them off. plus the spacer is there to stop you pushing the crank arm on too far effectively splaying the splines out a little so when he does eventually put the spacer back on the crank arm won't tighten up right becuase the splines will have been made a little bigger and will not sit on the bb tight enough. hope that clears up what i meant. iv just read my earlier comment back and it did sound a little harsh. early start n all that, sorry xx

iv never had a pair of cranks that i have been able to get them off without a tool even after a few rides? if u can do that then your either over or under torquing them. the crank and bottom braket are designed in a way that when torqued up right (usually 40-50 newton metres) they in effect stick (bond) to each other hense needing a puller to take them off. plus the spacer is there to stop you pushing the crank arm on too far effectively splaying the splines out a little so when he does eventually put the spacer back on the crank arm won't tighten up right becuase the splines will have been made a little bigger and will not sit on the bb tight enough. hope that clears up what i meant. iv just read my earlier comment back and it did sound a little harsh. early start n all that, sorry xx

yeah but you have to consider with anodised cranks there is a surface layer that can wear away to reveal the bare metal that will make the cranks a little loose. This is what makes them require re-tightening.

also I've ran these style bb's and not used the spacers, never caused me any issues.