Travelling to Australia.

Jake.

Hopefully it didn't come across as a dig, it's more that I can recall many times where something's seemed like not a lot of money right up until you actually try and do it. Good on you for getting on with it (Y)

My advice, which is based on bugger all to do with travelling: Work out 'every little detail' then add on another 30% and save that much. Always better to have cash left over than not have enough.

Did seem like a teeny dig but sometimes that's what you need. :) And yeah that's a true point, I hate it when that happens. Really cutting back on what I'm buying recently, been making pack lunches instead of just buying stuff from shops. Feels good to see the bank balance slowly go up yet depressing knowing that I can't really touch it!

Hmm that's good advice to have, applies to a lot of things in life. I'll probably just save up as much as I can between now and that, so I can live pretty carefree when out there. Besides it's meant to be a holiday right? I don't want to be out there and eating scraps. So that's a top tip Jason, thanks! :D

Especially if you're in f**king Australia, you can hardly hitch hike back from there.

Hahaha good point, if that does happen my friend has a Brother moving there permanently in February so we'd probably be able to stay there 'til we get enough money for a flight back. Extremely last resort though.

You lot have been more than helpful :rockon:

Edited by JMCD

That problem is easy to solve. Buy a return flight and make sure you have the option to change the return date free/cheap.

The first time I went to Australia I bought a return flight that gave me 1 month travel time, I knew I was staying with friends for the first 2 weeks and after that I was on my own which scared the shit out of me. It turned out I loved it so moved the return flight date to give me an extra month. I had already arranged with work to have 1-2 months off so just emailed them saying I would be back later than originally planned. Because I had a full time job to return to I was able to abuse an interest free credit card and get it paid off within a few months when I got home :P

• Like 1

I'm in Aus right now! It is expensive here but if you work wages are good, we found work for a holiday park (free accommodation yo!) And got $25ph and time+half on weekends. We bought a camper and just on fuel and food we are spending $2000 per month, lots of driving involved if you want to see the whole country. People are very friendly though and we've managed to make friends with a few people who have put us up for a week here and as week there which is great. We met a German couple who's van broke down outside a ladies house so she invited them in and they ended up looking after her house for 2 weeks whilst she went on holiday, so very friendly and trusting people!

Oh, and living 'relatively care free' doesn't work too good. Me and the missus left home with near £20,000 in the bank and that was gone in 6 months,and I mean we got down to our last £50 before we got some work. Supermarket food is expensive as hell and beer is astronomical, if you really need to get drunk a $10 box of cheap ass wine is the way to go.

But do it though, best fun ever and work is easy to find, so long as you get a working visa.

Edit: just realised you're only going for 2 months! I'd say £5000 would be more realistic if you didn't want to worry about money, definitely possible with £4k a pieced though, so long as you get your return flight first. Our return flights were about £600 each.

Edited by James Quigley
  • Like 1

That problem is easy to solve. Buy a return flight and make sure you have the option to change the return date free/cheap.

The first time I went to Australia I bought a return flight that gave me 1 month travel time, I knew I was staying with friends for the first 2 weeks and after that I was on my own which scared the shit out of me. It turned out I loved it so moved the return flight date to give me an extra month. I had already arranged with work to have 1-2 months off so just emailed them saying I would be back later than originally planned. Because I had a full time job to return to I was able to abuse an interest free credit card and get it paid off within a few months when I got home :P

That's pretty cool, lucky you can do that. Will look into it and see if you can do it from different airports too as I may not be near the original airport I arrived in Australia at by the end of it.

Ah that must have been pretty cool/scary being on your own, what did you get up to? And damn that's lucky, so jealous of you mate! I'd love to be able to abuse an interest free credit card like that. :P

I'm in Aus right now! It is expensive here but if you work wages are good, we found work for a holiday park (free accommodation yo!) And got $25ph and time+half on weekends. We bought a camper and just on fuel and food we are spending $2000 per month, lots of driving involved if you want to see the whole country. People are very friendly though and we've managed to make friends with a few people who have put us up for a week here and as week there which is great. We met a German couple who's van broke down outside a ladies house so she invited them in and they ended up looking after her house for 2 weeks whilst she went on holiday, so very friendly and trusting people!

Oh, and living 'relatively care free' doesn't work too good. Me and the missus left home with near £20,000 in the bank and that was gone in 6 months,and I mean we got down to our last £50 before we got some work. Supermarket food is expensive as hell and beer is astronomical, if you really need to get drunk a $10 box of cheap ass wine is the way to go.

But do it though, best fun ever and work is easy to find, so long as you get a working visa.

Edit: just realised you're only going for 2 months! I'd say £5000 would be more realistic if you didn't want to worry about money, definitely possible with £4k a pieced though, so long as you get your return flight first. Our return flights were about £600 each.

That's cool to hear dude, how long you been out there for? And yeah I heard work is easy to come by and wages are good, I'd consider getting a work visa but I'd rather do that for my second time out there. I want to explore and see what places I like most, best places to surf, where I feel most comfortable etc before I even consider getting a job/moving out there! Do you know if jobs working on cars/fixing cars out there are easy to come by? As I'm doing a course at college at the moment on that.

Jesus, that sounds extremely friendly. Why are they so friendly?! In England you'd just get told to f**k off if you were broken down outside someones house!

Ah that's a bummer, all that gone in 6 months with £50 to spare before you got work is pretty hectic hahah. Heard beer and supermarket food out there was ridiculously expensive, nice tip with the wine though. ;)

I definitely want to do it, I was going to get a car but I've decided to put those funds towards this trip, that's how keen I am haha. I've had a look and working visas don't seem easy to get, how easy was it for you?

Hmm alright, nice one buddy. I'll use yours and JD's tip with money, aim to have 30% more than I need. I'll just save and save and save and hopefully I should be well beyond the 5k mark if I'm careful, could leave me a bit of spending money too.

How long did you book in advance for return flights? That's a good price!

We've been out here almost 12 months now. I couldn't say about mechanic work but you can just do crappy work for money. Our visas were easy to get! Fill in the form, pay the £200 or whatever it was and get a visa. They have as list of requirements on the website and so long as you satisfy those your good. I should also mention we spent £5000 on a camper.

I moved here just over a year ago, best thing i ever did.

Food is expensive, drink is expensive, everything is expensive except fuel and hygiene products.

It is how ever amazing. I can't really expand more on what's already been said except cement the fact for how awesome this country is. I'm in Perth which is also the more boring side - and there is still HEAPS to see. I filled 3 weeks with doing something different every single day when my ex came over to visit, and still missed of loads.