Saint M810/820 differences/setup

singang

My avid juicy 3 was contacting with the rotor as well, I neede to use some washers, and yeah, the disc seem wobbly, but maybe because the washered set up:/

The difference is that I can't use any washers as the caliper is too far to the right.

What happened to me once:

Back when I owned an American Classic hub I had the issue that the previous owner seemed to have torqued the 6 bolts holding the disc too tightly. The result was, that the disc no longer laid plan on the hub without the srews tightened - when you tightend them the disc would bend until it reached the rest of the mount (I'm talking about 1mm or so) It's hard to explain.. in the end, no matter which disc you took, they all couldn't be straight right from the start due to the damaged disc mount and when you took a look from the top you could see that the inner piece of the disc with the screw-heads were maybe 1/2mm closer to the fork as the outer part (normally you would just see one small line,160/180/203mm*1,8mm) which made it impossible to set the brake up the way it's meant to be done.

I am well aware of this effect but I do have a Syntace torque tool and the untrue Avid rotors were put onto various bikes (and hubs obviously). Now with the BB7 it's not that big of a deal as you can adjust the pads independently but with a hydraulic brake that isn't the case. As I said, cheap SLX rotors will do the trick and they stay true as well.

To make a long story short. If you are happy with the Avid rotors, who cares right?

Nico.

p.s.: As you read through the posts on Mtb-news, you will see that no one really likes the Avid rotors that much.

Edited by niconj

What brake are you running Nico?

Until recently a BB7 with SD7 lever, Jagwire Ripcord and G2 180 rotor. Now it's a Saint 810 lever, Zee 640 caliper with Shimano BH90 hose and SLX rotor on the front. On the back its a rim brake.

I have to add that I'm new to trials even though I have a lot of experience in MTB riding and thus with different disc brake(s) (rotors)

Edited by niconj

• 2 weeks later...

id hear the pad scraping slightly afterwards

As this scraping got on my nerves I had a look at the spring I wrote about. Then I found out that my caliper was 1mm too low resulting in the pads being 1mm too low as well. With this, the disc touched the spring fairly often as it gets narrower on the top. I put two washers under the caliper and haven't heard a scraping ever since. The pads sit nicely as well. :)

You might want to check whether your caliper sits too low as well.

Edited by niconj

I am looking for a new set, but I might check wiggle out

I have oil, just need a bleeding kit... I might do it

Would the M810 would worth +£10/20 and some work over M820?

Edited by UKHippY

I am looking for a new set, but I might check wiggle out

I have oil, just need a bleeding kit... I might do it

Would the M810 would worth +£10/20 and some work over M820?

Ask Ali C. He might give you some more insight as to why the 810 is better than the 820. In short: yes!

I did exactly the same thing. The seller from Taiwan is really quick. Got the lever in under a week to Germany. I couldn't be more happy with the performance of my self made saint 810. I even like the original resin pads that the zee comes with. Also, the saint caliper is exactly the same and costs the same. I just got the Zee with discount.

Edited by niconj

You could try what I've done, buy zee set up, I paid £87.99 for each front and back. And then order 810 levers when you see them on offer anywhere. That's I'd you don't like the zee lever. I personally do but I'm a beginner

I might go that way, get Zees (£90+ discs, they sell them with centrelock) and if needed go to m810 levers.

or Zee+cables+M810 levers for £110 ( with £50 levers) for + disc? might go that way for some DIY :)

I bought the zee discs as the ice tech that were on felt fairly weak. Either way for brakes would be good. I liked the zee set up and was pre bled so just bolted on. I'm not sure I'll even go for the 810 levers as I'm finding the zee ones good. Brakes as I've found out is all personal preference. Just depends if you want the diy route

Yes I'm learning, always played around on mods but wasn't very good, lol. Fancied a go on 24 so saved and bought the fourplay. It's weird getting used to it but fun. The brakes feel nice, soft lever that you can lightly pull to slow down or a little but more pressure for total lock. They will only get better as they bed in aswell